Modded Mustang Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 · (Edited)
You should. Some people say they pass it without cats. I don't have those tests in VA but they are supposed to be emissions legal in all 50 states.
alright just curious since my stang has 4 catts:mad:
arg so what do u like personally better X-pipe or H-Pipe sound and like which one performs better?

for sure last thing

Magnaflow or BBK which should i go for? like which gives better sound and performance for X-pipe

Yes, might be a little off topic at this point in the thread but, all the catted h pipes (for stock headers) made for 96-98 have been discontinued. I was the guy who posted a thread about this a week or so ago, then i did alot of research and found out that this was true. I personally like the deep muscle car sound so i decided to go longtubes and get a catted h pipe for those.

Sorry, forgot to add this. An x pipe is better flowing than an h pipe but not enough to cause a big fuss about. You arent going to pick up 10 extra horsepower going x rather than h.

H pipes are usually more of a deep muscle car tone and x pipes are more of an exotic or raspier tone.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Sorry, forgot to add this. An x pipe is better flowing than an h pipe but not enough to cause a big fuss about. You arent going to pick up 10 extra horsepower going x rather than h.

H pipes are usually more of a deep muscle car tone and x pipes are more of an exotic or raspier tone.
np about goin off topic

ya i like the deep mucle tone but it seems that the only way to get that is too make custom H or Go O/R. so i'm pretty much stuck.

but i've been lookin at some vids and like theres only like a slight difference between a H-pipe and and X-pipe i mean at idle it sounds pretty much the same just when u get in the high Rpms.

Yes idle is pretty much similar but when you start to rev or get into the high rpms it starts to make more of a tinging noise or a pop when you let off the gas. I was thinking about going custom h for a while but then i realized i would rather have professionally done products on my car and it would probably sound better.

I was looking into slp catted x's for a while but then when i heard a setup with longtubes, catted h pipe, and flowmasters, i fell in love.

Discussion starter · #27 · (Edited)
hmmmm your setup that u love gave me an idea
dunno if its california legal tho so tell me if it isn't.
but what if i went with bbk LT and The BBK Catted Short H-pipeBBK: 1979-2004 Mustang Exhaust H Mid Pipe With Converters like these ones.
but i like just worried bout the lt cause i heard that there not legal in cali or somthin

Yes those would work, but as for being legal in Cal, i have no idea. I heard they were really strict on emissions there but i could be wrong.

This is basically my exact setup:

Discussion starter · #29 ·
damn sounds so good

i wonder what it would sound like if i got the bbk lt h-pipe with my magnaflow mufflers.

last thing
like on the magnaflow catted X-pipe or the bbk like noticed like they only have one highflow cat. say i put the x-pipe on my car will it pass smog inspection or will i have to add more cats to it ?
They will have 1 on each side

Discussion starter · #32 ·
They will have 1 on each side
ya i know just saying like cause right now i have 2 on each side so i didn't know since i lived in cali if i had to some how put another one on with it if u know what i mean.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
check the part description, usually they will say "legal in all states" or "legal in all states except CA"
ya i checked it and it says for the magnaflow true x that its 50 state legal same with the bbk so i'm good :D so i might go with those seeing that they discontinued the catted H.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.