Modded Mustang Forums banner

Catted H-Pipe

1K views 33 replies 4 participants last post by  Fastback91 
#1 ·
my exhaust is pretty much stock expect for the mufflers (magnaflow)
i think i'm going to change the midpipe to 3 inch H but just want to know what brand of catted h's will sound/perform best with the mufflers.

#3 ·
#6 · (Edited)
............don't rub it in:sorry i would but my parents won't let me do that till i'm 18.. that and where i live in Irvine the cops are extremely anal about the smallest of things and like if they even sense somthing is illegal they will pull u over..

so till im 18 i have to stick with catted.
any suggestions with a catted H

#15 ·
I believe all 96-98's came this way.
california sucks that way lol with all emissions laws and everything.
so my only real other option is to make custom ones then? or what?

btw which ones are the resonators on the the 96-98 stangs

#8 ·
i got some pics of my pipes if that helps

#17 ·
ya i thought about getting a catted x pipe but like don't really want that raspy sound. i want to keep that deep tone.

ya maybe i'll just try what u said and call up some of my local shops.

#19 ·
ya will do thanks for giving me the idea:D

#20 ·
last thing
like on the magnaflow catted X-pipe or the bbk like noticed like they only have one highflow cat. say i put the x-pipe on my car will it pass smog inspection or will i have to add more cats to it ?

#31 ·
last thing
like on the magnaflow catted X-pipe or the bbk like noticed like they only have one highflow cat. say i put the x-pipe on my car will it pass smog inspection or will i have to add more cats to it ?
They will have 1 on each side

#22 · (Edited)
alright just curious since my stang has 4 catts:mad:
arg so what do u like personally better X-pipe or H-Pipe sound and like which one performs better?

for sure last thing

Magnaflow or BBK which should i go for? like which gives better sound and performance for X-pipe

#23 ·
Yes, might be a little off topic at this point in the thread but, all the catted h pipes (for stock headers) made for 96-98 have been discontinued. I was the guy who posted a thread about this a week or so ago, then i did alot of research and found out that this was true. I personally like the deep muscle car sound so i decided to go longtubes and get a catted h pipe for those.

#24 ·
Sorry, forgot to add this. An x pipe is better flowing than an h pipe but not enough to cause a big fuss about. You arent going to pick up 10 extra horsepower going x rather than h.

H pipes are usually more of a deep muscle car tone and x pipes are more of an exotic or raspier tone.

#25 ·
Sorry, forgot to add this. An x pipe is better flowing than an h pipe but not enough to cause a big fuss about. You arent going to pick up 10 extra horsepower going x rather than h.

H pipes are usually more of a deep muscle car tone and x pipes are more of an exotic or raspier tone.
np about goin off topic

ya i like the deep mucle tone but it seems that the only way to get that is too make custom H or Go O/R. so i'm pretty much stuck.

but i've been lookin at some vids and like theres only like a slight difference between a H-pipe and and X-pipe i mean at idle it sounds pretty much the same just when u get in the high Rpms.

#26 ·
Yes idle is pretty much similar but when you start to rev or get into the high rpms it starts to make more of a tinging noise or a pop when you let off the gas. I was thinking about going custom h for a while but then i realized i would rather have professionally done products on my car and it would probably sound better.

I was looking into slp catted x's for a while but then when i heard a setup with longtubes, catted h pipe, and flowmasters, i fell in love.

#27 · (Edited)
hmmmm your setup that u love gave me an idea
dunno if its california legal tho so tell me if it isn't.
but what if i went with bbk LT and The BBK Catted Short H-pipeBBK: 1979-2004 Mustang Exhaust H Mid Pipe With Converters like these ones.
but i like just worried bout the lt cause i heard that there not legal in cali or somthin

#29 ·
damn sounds so good

i wonder what it would sound like if i got the bbk lt h-pipe with my magnaflow mufflers.

#34 ·
ya i checked it and it says for the magnaflow true x that its 50 state legal same with the bbk so i'm good :D so i might go with those seeing that they discontinued the catted H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.