Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.! Wow, I haven't been on here in a while!

Finally me and my dad successfully got the car running pretty decent. Now, I notice that the boost doesn't go over zero until after about 3200 rpms. My question is if I could install a pulley that will push about 12 psi max and install a blow off valve that regulates the psi to about 9 or 10. that way you could get the boost earlier and not risk blowing the engine. would you replace the bypass valve or would you install it alongside the bypass?

·
Registered
270 Posts
what kind of s/c is it? im guessing its a vortech..........

and if its not intercooled i wouldnt go over 9psi ...... your asking for trouble if you do

if it is intercooled maybe 12 but wouldnt go any higher then that

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Hey guys.! Wow, I haven't been on here in a while!

Finally me and my dad successfully got the car running pretty decent. Now, I notice that the boost doesn't go over zero until after about 3200 rpms. My question is if I could install a pulley that will push about 12 psi max and install a blow off valve that regulates the psi to about 9 or 10. that way you could get the boost earlier and not risk blowing the engine. would you replace the bypass valve or would you install it alongside the bypass?
Check out how turbos are plumbed, they do exactly what you're talking about.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea maybe not go all the way up to 10. I'm most likely not going to do this, I just wanted to know if anybody had any positive stories to tell on this situation. Is there an easier way to get boost quicker without going over the 9psi mark on a centrifugal style blower? not looking forward to having to get it re-tuned, but if it would be worth while, I would. (everything costs money...)

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Put a wastegate on the pressure side and go with the smallest pulley without belt slip. There is one company I know that makes what you need but cant remember their name. 911motorsports I believe.
the device you seek looks like this...

After looking at the pics I realize it's 928motorsports.com. you can find this in their sc accesories section.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that! it looks like a ghetto BOV. whats the difference in that and a regular blow off valve? or is there one

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
thanks for that! it looks like a ghetto BOV. whats the difference in that and a regular blow off valve? or is there one
I'm not sure that there is one.

If there is, I think it's that a wastegate dumps the extra pressure back into the system (back upstream of the super/turbocharger), whereas a blow-off valve dumps to atmosphere.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This seems like it would be a good option for widening the power-band. would this valve set to 9psi and a smaller pulley make more of an improvement than a nice set of 3.73 gears?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Gears are going to affect the car 100% of the time.

This setup is really only going to have a noticable effect over those rpms where you've gained more boost than previous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts