Modded Mustang Forums banner

CG T6 turbo build

13K views 98 replies 11 participants last post by  Sonic 02 
#1 ·
So I figured I would join the party with all the turbo builds going on. The car has been down since September of 2014. Im getting ready to start the installing everything to get it back on the road again. Here is a list of what's going on.

Engine ( built and on stand)
fully forged shortblock
mhs stage 3 heads
cms stage 2.5 turbo cams
Edelbrock intake
6061 intake

Turbo kit (just haven't picked turbo out yet)
CG T6 turbo hotside
on3 cold side
turbo charger leaning towards work turbo chargers turbo
dual 40 mm wastegates

Transmission (ordered should be here in 2wks)
FB performance 4r70w with lockup and transbrake
UCC converter

Fuel
Glenn's performance sumped tank
triple walbro 392
Areomotive FP
DeatschWerks 78 lbs injectors

I wasn't going to do the transmission until this winter but FB was having a sale . There is a few other things going into build like abs delete and batery relocation. Like to hear thoughts and opinions of the building. It's supposed to be done by end of May just got to get my buddy motivated to finish it.

See less See more
#39 ·
With the battery relocation done it's on to wiring up the fuel pumps. Installed the fuse block with 30 amp fues. Nice block has 6 circuits that can be run off it.

Only got 2 of the 3 relays in the 3 one should be here shortly .

Got to 2 wires run up front for the hobbs switches. The first hobbs switch will turn on the 2nd pump at 5 psi and the other hobbs switch will turn on 3rd pump at 10psi. Hopefully this will help keep the fuel a little cooler

Hopefully will have tank installed and plumbed up by the end of the week

#41 ·
Ruff week at work so didn't get a chance to work on buttoning up motor but did clean up C&G hot side and paint it with some VHT paint. I had my old on3 hot side wrapped not sure I'm going to wrap this one.

#42 ·
Got 3 years of dust cleaned off it.

Got the glenns tank sumped snd fuel system installed

Wanted to run both filters one pre pump and the other imeaditly after pumps but there wasn't enough room could only get the prepump one installed. I will have to find a smaller filter

#50 ·
Got valve coves back from being painted and installed. The intake and oil pan on (thanks for info Pate) on the spacer. I bought a bare windsor block and built this ,so I have been combining romeo and windsor. I had to order a new oil pickup spacer from Ford I don't have most of the bolts so I asked ford for the price on valve cover bolts and oil pan bolts they told me 190 dollars for the bolts. I ended up going to true value hardware and bought all the bolts for 17 bucks.

Hopefully by end of week I will have oil filter relocation housing on , water pump,and CG headers on.

#51 ·
Just about got the engine buttoned up. Got the oil filter relocation mounted and c&g hotside test fitted. The passengers side 40mm turbosmart wastegate looks like it will be right where the abs pump is. Was already planning ABS delete anyway. C&G uses Tial 44mm wastegate flanges and the banjo flange bolt looks like it will be to small to tighten wastegate. So I'm going to try to find a longer bolt to mount the wastegate.

#53 ·
The cars at my buddies shop, The good about that is every tool need is there from lifts to plasma cutters. The bad is i can't work on it weekends so that only leaves a couple hours a week.

#56 ·
Not munch to update. Put water pump on and all the pulleys on. Anybody that has put on CG fabrication kit have any trouble with the header to close to power steering pump fitting.

#57 ·
I had to move my power steering lines around on that side, i took a tubing bender and bent everything t o clear real nice. the pipes comes close and there isnt much you can do but wrap them.

#59 ·
Got the motor all buttoned up. I had to delete one of the idler pulleys because the belt was hitting the header. Fire sleeve and some fuel fittings came in today. Tomorrow will get car in place to drop engine in. Have all next week off so should be able to get a lot done

Reactions: y2k02
#60 ·
So I'm taking Eddies advice and putting more garage hours in LOL. Engine ready to drop in. Pulling pilot bearing out of cobra crank before dropping it in.

Got the engine in. Will say easiest one I have ever done. Had it in less than 30 minutes. Got injectors ,coils and most of electrical plugged . Got most of the fuel lines hooked up but needed a few more fittings lucky for me sonnys racing is right down street or it might have been Friday before summit would have delivered. ABS pump removed that frees up s bunch of room. Not going abs delete block going to flare line and make new ones and move them out of the way

Don't mind dusty dirty car

Reactions: y2k02
#61 ·
Got a few things done last couple days. Got flexplate bolted on all the fuel system run oil relocation done . Still have to figure out power steering lines way close to header. Test fit the merge pipe and turbo flange was touching the radiator. This is without fans being attached. So we had to start radiator relocation . Plan is to cut bottom lip on radiator support and radiator mounting taps off slide radiator forward and weld the tabs on the opposite side of radiator support. Early mock up looks like it will give about 18" between motor and radiator without fans

Here is my buddy modding the the support. Was hoping he was going to let me play with plasma cutter

#62 ·
Well got all the power steering lines moved.. That proved to be more of a problem than I thought. Made more work for myself by accidentally hitting brake line with cutoff wheel notching lower radiator support. Radiator support took a lot of modification to get stock fan to slide forward with in the support. Going to install transmission tomorrow and get the motor leveled.

#63 ·
Got few more things done. Got the transmission installed. Had to reroute the starter wires to back of fire
Ran into the o2 sensors need exstended. Orded them from American muscle . Have to extend them as they ard not long enough to reach the headers. Have driver's side done side done

Hopefully will have first start up next week just have a few more things to finish. Going to start it open header without turbo.

#64 ·
You dont even need the stock o2's. I ran my car for many years without them. You just run car in open loop all the time. Them the maf controls it.

#65 ·
Thanks if this doesn't work that's what I'm going to do. The 02 sensor where capped off by guy I bought the kit from. He was running holley dominator. Do you run 02 with your holley dominator

#66 ·
I run a wideband O2 on each side. The dominator can run in closed loop using either side, richest, leanest or average of both. Mine runs in closed loop starting at 4200rpm and I keep the correction low.

#67 ·
Filled the car with fuel hooked up the battery pack to check for fuel leaks and car started turning with the key in off position. Looks like I accidentally hot wired my car LOL. I have to figure out what I hooked up wrong. My battery disconnect works . I ran the hot wire from battery in the trunk to distribution box under the hood. Than a hot to start and another to alternator. Did I hook it up right.

#69 ·
Turned out to be an easy fix. With having run the starter wires different the small wire on seliniod was slightly touching the hot wire. It was essentially jumping the seliniod. Now just have to fix one small fuel leak. Than it will be ready to start.

#70 ·
Turbo came in on Friday. I went with a billet borgwarner S478 87 turbine wheel 1.10 AR. with a race cover. Now I can start the mark up of the hot and cold side and finish the radiator relocation.

#73 ·
Ran into another small issue while doing abs delete. I'm not using abs delete block just going to make flare fittings. The passengers side header was resting on the brake lines. So I'm going to have to move all the brake lines to the other side of the frame rail . So I figured I'm just going to add a line lock when relocating the lines

#74 ·
Got a few updates got the line lock in. Just need to finish the flares on the rear wheels. Also had I had to repair a line I hit with die cutter

It frees up a bunch of room to run the down pipe.
Also got radiator relocation done and the turbo mounted. Today I got the cold side 90% done. It's fitted and tach welded in place. I'm using my old on3 cold side and I was able shorten it by removing 3 feet of piping out of cold side.

Things I still have to figure out, oil drain, coolant overflow tank , perminate intercooler mounting brackets, wire up trans and line lock and add 3 inch studs to front

#75 ·
you could make your own coolant over flow tank like i did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.