Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed all the chains and marks as they should be, but when rotating the motor, the chains (along the straight chain guides) tend to loosen for a second about every 1/2 turn of the crank. Should the chains ALWAYS be tight? I'm using iron tensioners and I'm not sure if this is common or not.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
are you tensoners oem? if so crank the stop out so their is no slack in the chain.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My original tensioners were the plastic ones. I bought the iron ratcheting ones to replace them. But no matter how many times I rotate the crank, the chains will become slack and I can't figure it out. So idk.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Are the tensioners pumped up with oil yet

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No they aren't. The motor is dry (cam swap) and they are ratcheted as far as they'll go, but when turning the motor by hand the chains have slack in them. The chains are new so they haven't stretched. Is this something that will tighten when the engine is cranked for the first time?

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
tensioners can. also just make sure there pulled tight and hard against the chain guides when you hook it around the cam gear you know.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled tight. Even had to move the cam slightly to get the chains on. But brand new tensioners seem to be causing it. They've never seen oil, so I'll put it together and go from there. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts