Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my pads/rotors and finished putting in the cut springs today and decided to go for a test drive. Well when I got out afterwards, I noticed a metallic smell from the passenger side. I walked over and discovered that even the rim was hot. Basically im wondering how i messed up. My first theory is that maybe its a caliper piston that locked up or something. How can I find out and how can I fix this?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Did you put that brake grease stuff on the back of the pads? Clean the rotors with brake cleaner prior to installation? I believe the brake grease smells like it's burning when it's heated and if you didn't clean the rotors with brake cleaner then there may be some oil on them that's burning up. Otherwise a burning smell was present after I installed new pads and rotors on my car. It took a few months to go away (my car doesn't get driven a ton) but it's fine now :dunno

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did pretty much all of that. The cleaner makes sense for the smell. Im just worried about that side getting as hot as it was. Think it would hurt to just pull the calipers and inspect them? Any other things to check out while Im at it?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to pull them out and inspect them. I honestly don't know what would be causing them to get excessively hot but mine did that as well for and eventually the issue just went away on it's own. My car has a thing for fixing itself if I don't take care of a problem :dunno

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, I wish my car would fix itself. I guess I'll just take her apart and see what I find then. Thanks for the help dude.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
No problem man. You probably won't find anything wrong (I sure as hell couldn't after pulling the calipers off 5+ times looking for the problem), but let me know if you do.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
was this a rear caliper?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Get a 2nd person to help you and have one of you watch the caliper while the other presses the brake pedal watch to make sure the caliper is retracting the piston all the way. Is your rotor warped?

An alternative would be to lift the front of the car up and spin the wheel and see if its rubbing any where. But I do believe you won't find anything wrong. better safe than sorry.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
An alternative would be to lift the front of the car up and spin the wheel and see if its rubbing any where. But I do believe you won't find anything wrong. better safe than sorry.
Do this. Or just put the car in neutral and see if you can push it. If you get resistance either way you might have a hanging caliper. Then you get the joy of tearing it down to fix it.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Do you hear a grinding noise when you drive down the road. Sometimes the mud shield behind the caliper gets bent towards the rotor and touches it. If it is then just bend it back.

Thats what happen to me once.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I pulled everything apart and one of the caliper pistons is definitely stuck. It was almost impossible to get off too and now theres no way im gonna get it back on. Any suggestions on what the best plan of attack would be?

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Well you can rip it apart, clean it, and rebuild it, but that has a nasty tendancy to go bad again, so you end up repeating the process.

Considering how plentiful Mustangs are, you might be better off snagging one from a junkyard and replacing it.
Look in classifieds on here. SO many people with GTs up their brakes to Wilwood and Brembo..

Yes they are the same because I know you will ask;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, thanks guys, guess ill just check the forums and call up a few junkyards and see how it goes. Thank you to everyone who helped out!

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts