Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the accufab installed and ditched the bbk. Car fired right up and was idling like a champ the way it should. With the bbk it idled high and whistled. I left it running for about 10-15 minutes and went around the block, now it has an idle surge and stalls out. Surge is from 500 to 1000 rpm. It was idling around 750-800 when I first fired it up. I went from a 70 to a 75 mm. Would I need to adjust the fuel pressure for that? Go easy on me, still a rookie! haha!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
After the car is at normal temp, unplug the electrical plug to the IAC. If the car stalls, the idle screw is to far out ( butterfly is to far closed). Adjust the idle screw to where the car will idle, then start backing the screw out to where the engine is about to stall then turn the screw in a 1/4 turn. Plug the IAC back in, set the tps volt, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After the car is at normal temp, unplug the electrical plug to the IAC. If the car stalls, the idle screw is to far out ( butterfly is to far closed). Adjust the idle screw to where the car will idle, then start backing the screw out to where the engine is about to stall then turn the screw in a 1/4 turn. Plug the IAC back in, set the tps volt, and you should be good to go.
Cool, thanks man. My apologies for asking this question for the millionth time. I saw your older posts, you guys must be tired of repeating yourselves!! haha!How do you adjust the voltage if it's too low or high?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Turn the tps sensor. And if it wont turn far enough..... oval/slot the holes on the tps ( not the tb)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran out of daylight and wifes patience, gonna have to keep going tomorrow. I bought the tps and iac along with the air charge temp sensor for good measures. I couldn't get the tps volts high enough so I'm just going to start over. The sensor wires were dry rotted, so it's probably time to change it out. Can't wait to get it right and get to the track. Might just be me, but she seems to pull harder with the new tb. Can't tell without traction though!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a much more beautiful piece than the BBK also, isn't it? I'll never go back again!
Yeah, It makes the whole bay look better. I'm sold on them, I'll know on Sunday if there is a difference, as long as it doesn't rain. I kept the bbk to do a before and after dyno pull. I'll post the numbers. Should be hitting the dyno this week as long as I can fix the surging issue.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
It's almost too bad we didn't think to tell you to check the tps voltage before you pulled the old one. Would have been easier to set back on the new one. Just changing the TB shouldn't affect anything as far as your surging, as long as your gaskets are working, so it has to be in the TPS or throttle screw setting. That or some crap got knocked loose in your IAC valve, which is highly unlikely. You could clean that out too for good measure if you want.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries, like I said, the wiring on the IAC and TPS are dry rotted, so it's time to change them anyway. I'm heading out to pick up the parts and will be busting my knuckles here in a bit.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
What do you mean 'couldnt get the voltage high enough"? Voltage should be less than .98. And thats after the idle screw is turned in enough so it idles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you mean 'couldnt get the voltage high enough"? Voltage should be less than .98. And thats after the idle screw is turned in enough so it idles.
I was having issues even getting a reading on it. the highest it would flash was
.80, and thats all it would do was flash. Probably wasn't getting a good ground. I'm gonna get to work on her now.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Ok, but .8 is fine for an idle setring, also verify thet voltage increases smoothly till wot is reached and 4.5+V is reached.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just installed the new IAC and TPS. She fired up and was idling great for about 5 minutes or so then just died. Now she wont stay running. I disconnected both sensor and it makes no difference.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Recheck your tps. Maybe you got a bad part? You are probing the tps for your ground also, right? Don't use chassis ground. By disconnecting your battery, your car has to relearn some things, but should still idle. Just look around the engine bay and make sure you didn't forget anything or have any vac lines unplugged or anything stupid. Hopefully your tuner didn't 'tune around' a problem that was existing that could now be fixed by way of new parts. Doubtful though. I'm at a loss. You really should have no ill effects from a throttlebody change.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts