Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MM's Resident Male Nurse
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I looked for a bit, but couldn't really find anything, so I thought I'd come right out and ask...

Its winter, cold as heck, and icy... what motor oil should I use?

I've heard alot of mixed advice. 0w20? 0w30? 5w20? or should I stick with my classic 5w30?

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic (wal-fart or farm and fleet), but a brand change is always in the air.

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Noob
828 Posts
I thought ours took 5w20? But regardless I don't think its ever safe to change oil viscosity.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
My volvo manual has the temp range of both oils for some reason, but i know I went with whatever they reccomend in the owners manual, but if you look on mustang forums theres a huge debate over which weight or viscosity is better from what I remeber when I looked over the summer, I think I run mobil one sythetic 5W20 but I run 5W30 in my volvo because its always outside and wont turn gel up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
definitely not safe to change viscosity - had a friend try that in his audi and blew his engine. just get synthetic

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
The factory recommends 5w-20 for a reason.

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
5 2o dont over fill it and make sure the o ring from the old filter comes off

·
MM's Resident Male Nurse
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, leaving it with 5w20. (sorry for the switch up... it is 5w20 factory, but I had a brain fart). Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts