Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Differential: Getting Royal Purple but how much do I pour into the diff?
Power Steering: Do our cars use ATF or Power Steering Fluid? and how much again?
Oil: I already know
Coolant: Either Peak or Prestone 50/50 and how much should I buy to change out coolant?

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Just my 0.02 I heard royal purple is mainly for racing so if your not racing on a daily basis dont waste the money. I may be wrong if so someone will correct me.

Edit Power Steering is Power Steering fluid how are you doing this? Just draining it and filling or a flush?

If your draining it do you know how to do it and everything? Not trying to be mean just dont want you to mess up your Power Steering...

had a guy at the shop mess one up FLUSHING it lol what a moron

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
If your in Orlando, you really do not need 50% anti freeze.

I'm a little south of you. I, and all my buddues use 1 bottle of prestone anti rust, 1 bottle of water wetter, 10% anti freeze, the rest water.

We use that mixture in all our road race cars as well.

·
Banned
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just my 0.02 I heard royal purple is mainly for racing so if your not racing on a daily basis dont waste the money. I may be wrong if so someone will correct me.

Edit Power Steering is Power Steering fluid how are you doing this? Just draining it and filling or a flush?

If your draining it do you know how to do it and everything? Not trying to be mean just dont want you to mess up your Power Steering...

had a guy at the shop mess one up FLUSHING it lol what a moron
you hardly ever change diff fluid so why not throw royal purple in...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Differential: the manual says its 3.75 pts just fill it and check it you will know when its full just put you finger in the fill hole to check the level it should be almost flush right before it can pour out.

Coolant: Prestone manual says 14.1 Qts but you have to consider that you will always have some in the block even after you flush it and there is none in the radiator.....(so its really not 14) i just got 2 Prestone 1 gal 100 percents which = (8 quarts) not the 50/50 but i did this when i removed my heads so i had less fluid in the block than you would but you should be about the same just a little more..... i poured the 2 gal in then i filled the rest with water, as long as you dont pass 70% antifreeze your ok thats what the manual states and im sure i was below it when i did it

Power steering: Mercon ATF just fill to the max line on the resivor but dont pass it do it when the vehicle is cold. and dont drain it you dont need to.

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Living in florida you don't need 50/50 coolant. It freezes 1-2 nights out of the year. I mean it's not really that big of a deal....i'm just saying

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fluid change

Differential: Getting Royal Purple but how much do I pour into the diff?
You put it in the hole in the side untill it is coming back out, let it drain so it is level with the bottom of the hole and replace the plug
Power Steering: Do our cars use ATF or Power Steering Fluid? and how much again?
You can use Prestone ps fluid if flushing or use Mercon ATF if only adding.
Oil: I already know
Coolant: Either Peak or Prestone 50/50 and how much should I buy to change out coolant?
Use Prestone 50/50. I agree with the guys on here that you do not need 50/50 coolant except for one thing, water will accelerarate corrosion in your cooling system. The mix described by others on here is fine for track cars that see frequent cooling system maintenance. Think about it this way, automakers are always looking for ways to save money, yet they all still use antifreeze at a 50/50 mixture on all cars regardless of where they are sold. You should stick with that. If you need printable instructions on how to change your coolant, shoot me an email at [email protected]
and yes, Iwork for Prestone in case you are wondering.:cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just because an automaker sells a car in a certain state/country it does not mean that the car will stay there. If they do not use a 50/50 mix for a car that will be sold in Florida, and someone buys it from New Jersey, they will be screwed. So it is easier for the automakers to put 50/50 in no matter what(no lawsuits/warranty issues).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts