Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :),

I'm thinking about getting some aftermarket cams and headers but I have some questions.

First, can I get the cams and keep the oem manifold or should I get the headers when I buy the cams? Buying both is going to be really expensive so if I can split the cost and buy one first and the other later, I'll do that.

Second, I'm not sure what brandname of headers to buy. I have to get shortys because my car is way too low for LT. I've heard bad things about BBK so I'm probably not going that route-unless you guys can change my mind. I've heard good things about Kooks. I also don't know what kind of cams to buy either. I'm thinking about VT stage 2 cams and crowers.

Any advice/thoughts are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
leave the stock manifolds, aftermarkets won't do a whole lot for you without forced induction. Except longtubes but you dont want those. They would do THAT much for you anyway. The VT stg 2 cams are good but you will need adjustable cam gears and need to get them degreed because of clearance (ptv) issues. I have not looked into crower cams. As far as exhaust, I would change to an offroad h pipe or prochamber and get the stock mufflers swapped out for a catback or just weld in mufflers and call it a day. Like I said, the headers wouldn't help a whole lot. Hope this helps! I only know about this because I've been researching this same stuff for my car haha

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
You can do one at a time. I prefer MAC exhaust products after using FRPP, Pypes, BBK and MAC.

BTW, I have long tubes and I sit very close to the ground. I can't do speedbumps at all though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
leave the stock manifolds, aftermarkets won't do a whole lot for you without forced induction. Except longtubes but you dont want those. They would do THAT much for you anyway. The VT stg 2 cams are good but you will need adjustable cam gears and need to get them degreed because of clearance (ptv) issues. I have not looked into crower cams. As far as exhaust, I would change to an offroad h pipe or prochamber and get the stock mufflers swapped out for a catback or just weld in mufflers and call it a day. Like I said, the headers wouldn't help a whole lot. Hope this helps! I only know about this because I've been researching this same stuff for my car haha
Thanks for the response! It helps a lot. Lol, I've been researching this stuff also but still had some questions so thanks for answering them.

You can do one at a time. I prefer MAC exhaust products after using FRPP, Pypes, BBK and MAC.

BTW, I have long tubes and I sit very close to the ground. I can't do speedbumps at all though.
Thanks for the response! I would really like to get LT's but my car is super low (I avoid all speed bumps lol) so I'd have to change some of my suspension in order to have them-which I don't feel like doing at the moment. Have you dealt with Magnaflow at all? I'm buying a Magnaflow X pipe later this month. I'm really excited about it because I think it'll sound good with the flowmaster mufflers I already have on. :D

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
No, I don't have any experience with magnaflow. Saleen did switch to magnaflow with the new edge cars though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
96saleengt,

I have beem considering cams, too. My concern is the smog check every other year. I am not familiar with how engine changes such as this will effect the smog check. I would not want to have to change back to OEM cams every other year. Do you have concerns about this?

·
Registered
356 Posts
96saleengt
I have the magnaflow o/r x-pipe and I like it. I am running it with magnaflow catback.
Matt0987
It depends on if they do a tailpipe sniff in your state or just a visual and plug into the obdII port. If they do a tailpipe sniff you might have a problem.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
With headers you will get much better sound though, also you will still get like a 5hp increase but nothing huge.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If you aren't going with long tubes then don't bother with headers at all. Even shorties are a PITA to install and more than likely you will see no gain in power. In fact you could end up loosing power.

Since you didn't say I am assuming you still have the stock NPI heads. That will limit your cam choices because most cams designed for PI heads have too much lift for NPI heads. My suggestion would be to contact Modular Head Shop for some NPI specific cams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts