Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big of a deal is it? Lookin to save a few bucks on labor, and I can handle mild to moderate jobs. Does the tank have to come out? Can I get it up high enough with rhino ramps, or will I need a lift? Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
You have to pull the tank down far enough to remove the cover and its pretty far so you might as well take the tank out to make things easier. Here are a few helpful tips:

Take as much gas out as possible. Lighter gas tank is easier to work with
Jack up the rear as high as you safely can. Makes getting the tank out easier
Open gas tank door and remove the 3 screws that hold the neck onto the car
Unscrew the bracket that holds the neck to the tank. Right side folow the neck
Start to remove the 2 straps that hold the tank up. It'll stay up with one but once the second one starts to get loose have a buddy hold the other end or place a jack under the middle to support/balance the tank.
Once loose, lower the drivers side a little and disconnect the fuel lines and wire harness. You'll need the fuel line disconnect tools for this.
Then slide the whole tank toward the drivers side while carefully wiggeling the tank neck out. May need to raise/shift/lower the tank until its free
Once the tank is remote from the car remove the 10 (or 8) bolts that hold the hat on. I'd clean this surface before you remove the hat so dirt doesn't fall in.
Once apart, pull basket out and disconnect old pump and insert new pump. Nows a good time to put in a new sock. If you don't have one clean stock one under hot water or something
Once new pump is in repeat everything I said backwards.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
It's very easy and straight forward, the biggest thing i would recommend is to get as much gas out of the tank if you can

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
^ agree'd. i just done the one in machboy's car. i dont know if he forgot to tell me or thought it would be funny, but the damn thing was as full as you could get it. damn near smashed me when i got the straps undone from car.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
^:laughat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.