Modded Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Done

Okay, heater core replaced here too, my stang is warming up again:)
Thanks Ujslost for the great explanation/pictures that helps a lot.
The core itself was okay but there were small pinholes on the smaller heater connect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up. now i can tackle mine:eek:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I just did this job on a 99 Mustang and had some difficulties that perhaps others could avoid.

1. In your write up you mention the heater wouldn't move back much on the drivers side. I believe there is another bolt underneath that you needed to remove.

I used the shop manual procedure and there are a number of problems with that procedure.

1. There is no need to remove the radio to disconnect the blend door cable. It is easily reached once the dash is dropped out.

2. Get the shifter out of the way. Just remove the four bolts and one clip on the cable underneath the car and it can be put in the back seat with the shift cable attached. Also disconnect the cable on the front of it (this keeps the shifter from moving out of park unless the key is on). Make sure to get that cable routed under the dash when you put it back in or the dash will have to come back out to route it !

3. The steering column can stay bolted to the dash. Just disconnect the u joint at the bottom and let the column lock so the steering wheel can't turn and break the air bag sliding contact (clock spring).

·
Black Betty
3,173 Posts
Very well done. I had to do this repair twice. Fuggin dealership gave me a bogus core so I got a freebie the second time

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Heater core failure can be due to previous owner not using proper maintence. But usually its a failed part or electrolysis in the coolant system. From my experience of owning all differant brands of auto makes, seems fords are notorious for heater core issues.
I have to now put one in my 99 F150 apparently its stopped up. This time not leaking just not heating up.
Nice write-up ujslost. :yes

Before you change the heater core in your F150, try flushing it. Just reverse the 2 lines going to it and run the motor for a few minutes. This might clear up whatever is blocking it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any way to do this without discharging the AC

I have not looked closely at the car but is there any way to do this without discharging and disconnecting the AC? I'm going to be doing this repair during this winter where the car is in the garage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
im not sure if this question belongs here but it does have to do with the heater core... lol What would have to do to completely remove this from the car and not replace it. the reason is my car is turning in to a summer driver and i want to lose some weight in my car and i have time on my hands to do this. What would i need to do/get to make this work? thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you!

I tried this on a '95 GT and it was almost exact.

Took a little longer, I had to do it myself since my husband broke his back and couldn't do much more than hand me tools. :eek:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Job

I'm in the process of putting a new heater core in now it isn't so bad but is taken me a little longer than expected but great description i say sticky to the stuff

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Great write up. I will be needing this soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
better than a repair manual

you rock dude...awsome write up :) start to stop done in 5 hours only pita for me was the ac fittings :) i used air tools instead of cordless drill...its what i have :eek:

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
I just replaced the complete hvac box. This write up really helped. Thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do I have to do this in order to put the hose back on? My hose burst, and the garage I used to go to just bypassed the heater core completely.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Do I have to do this in order to put the hose back on? My hose burst, and the garage I used to go to just bypassed the heater core completely.
What hose exactly? If the heater core burst/started leaking then yes you will have to do this. If the hose under the hood burst then you should be able to just replace it with out touching anything under the dash.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts