Modded Mustang Forums banner

changing mach1 intake cams with 96-01 cobra cams??

13K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  blue03mach1 
#1 ·
i heard changing the stock mach1 intake cams with the older cobra cams 96 or 97-01 you see a 15-20whp difference? is this about right? i would rather go with custom cams but 2400 bucks is worth 20 to 25whp gains. id rather just vortech it which might happen someday. The intake cams on the cobra are like 300 to 400 bucks?
Btw i would post in the 4v section but this section gets more hits.

#2 ·
it belongs here so i put it here. there will be more traffic here if people would continually post here. as for the cams, yes the older cobra's have a little more aggressive cam. there are gains being made going with them. and it is the 96-98 cobra cams that are the ones people go after, the 99-04 are the same.

#3 ·
oh my bad. i just posted on the other one cuz i thought i accidently posted here. alright ill post here from now on. 96 to 98 okay. are the gains around 15 to 20whp? would i need a retune? im sure i would but would it make me slower? without a retune? make me run richer or lean?

#5 ·
dont have to have a tune, but like anything else a tune will fully utilize them. your afr's arent going to be thorwn off all that bad. the cams have same lift i think but has about 12 degrees or so duration. a set of used intake cams only go for 100-150 normally. gains are roughly about that. as for prices are, it depends on who you have install them.

#6 ·
okay, well i have a pretty good tune on the car now and i dont it hurting the tune. i know any tune will just make it better but the tuner who basically came out with the software for diablo and was involved with sct. (scott bear) he is one of the best tuners around but unfortunately he went back to canada. So I'm either im gonna try to go to BBR i hear good things about them or i heard the guy that taught scott is around tuning cars so i might do that. I heard advancing the cams before install like adding 20 degrees to the intake cams to a mach1 motor increases the hp to around 20whp. by advancing it you wouldnt notice the torque lost as well.

#7 ·
20 degree's? you would kill the set up doing that. advancing the cams will usually get more on the bottom end, and pull from top end. this also depends on cam selection and specs. no need to advance the 96-98 cobra cams, just make sure they are dialed in good.

#8 ·
my brother did this mod on his 04 Mach 1 and with a ported lower intake made about 330rwhp, Car ran a low 12 @111mph. Pretty inexpensive mod if you ask me, we got the cams used for like $150. Check Mach1registry.com for a lot more info

#9 · (Edited)
96-98 Cobra intake cams. - Page 3 - ModularFords.com scroll down and this guy na svt says this.."When checked the durations of the four intake cam's, 8 intake lobes and they were all at 204-205 degrees. The LCs were the same for both the primary and secondary lobes. There is a common belief that that intake and secondary lobes are offset by 3 degrees, we did not see this with these cams.

I would put the 96-98 cam specs at:
Intake: 205 deg @.050
Exhaust: 196 deg @.050
114/114 LCs

With that, adding 20 degrees of intake duration to a Mach motor would increase power by 20fwhp. Install them advanced and you wouldn't realize any torque losses either"
according to "na svt". so he is wrong?

#13 ·
Mike the 99-04 intake cams are not the same. The 99/01 intake cams are just a couple degrees more mild than the 96-98.

Mach 1, 03/04 Cobra, Aviator, Marauder, Navigator
Intake: 184 deg @ .050/.397" lift (measured duration)Exhaust: 196 deg @ .050/.397" lift
114 LCs

96-98 Cobra
intake PN#s F6ZE-6A270-AB crosses to F6ZZ-6250-AA
F6ZE-6A271-AB crosses to F6ZZ-6250-BA

Intake: 202-204 deg @.050/ .397 lift
Exhaust: 196 deg @.050/.397 lift
114/114 LCs

99/01 Cobra
Intake: 200 deg @.050/.397 lift (measured duration)
Exhaust: 196 deg @.050/.397 lift
114 LCs

The exhaust cams however are the same among all 96-04 4Vs.

#14 ·
na svt is a well respected member over there so I would double check with him about that post you dug up. I didnt actually go find it but if it wasnt recent I'd see if he found out anything more since the posting.

Shoot him a PM and see what he thinks. I almost had him do a short runner intake for me last year. Chose a different direction though which I'm saving for instead. (single turbo)

20* sounds like an awful lot though so at first glance I'd say that Sweet2k sounds more correct.

#17 ·
yeah i saw some of the tuning they did with the roush 427s. where are they located? yeah im in SW florida. ill call around before i make the decision with my dad to get the cams. My dad is gathering up mods for the 427r( smaller pulley, intake, cams and full exhaust and maybe gears) and waiting for them to arrive and then headed to BBR to install them and tune for a package deal.

Depending how the car runs if i switch out the intake cams ill see if i should get it tuned and if BBR will do a deal with two cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.