Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Im going to have my plugs replaced next week by a shop in my home town. I need to tell my rents (the ones who are going to pay for the change as an early xmas gift) what the shop can expect for work. Mainly they need to know if the engine needs to come out to access the plugs or not. How much of the engine needs to come off before the fuel rails are accessible?

heres a pic of the engine!

highlighted are the plugs... correct?

·
Registered
266 Posts
no those are the injectors, the plugs are underneath the spark plug covers.
Were it reads "V8 32valve" super easy to do. Take the 2 bolts off each cover and pull the boots out, un screw plug, gap and re tighten.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Ok I'm a little confused right now. What do spark plugs do with your fuel rails? Also your fuel rails are accessible right now. The silver part that your injectors are connected to are your fuel rails.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Doh, corrected.

to me, I was told a while back from kids who pimped out neons and crap that the fuel rails and plugs are together.

thats what I get for listening to people who buy neons.

So looking at it again, the right bank of plugs are only a few wrench turns away, the left bank will require the removal of the stock air box (well, the tube at least) to make them accessible?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Doh, corrected.

to me, I was told a while back from kids who pimped out neons and crap that the fuel rails and plugs are together.

thats what I get for listening to people who buy neons.

So looking at it again, the right bank of plugs are only a few wrench turns away, the left bank will require the removal of the stock air box (well, the tube at least) to make them accessible?
you are correct, remove the air inlet tube and they're accessible quite easily. you should give this a try yourself and perhaps learn a thing or two. its not difficult at all just MAKE SURE not to over tighten the plugs (your heads are aluminum), those things only have like 4 threads on them.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
The plugs are under the covers that say V8 powered 32V on the driver side and same location on the passenger.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey guys. Im going to have my plugs replaced next week by a shop in my home town. I need to tell my rents (the ones who are going to pay for the change as an early xmas gift) what the shop can expect for work. Mainly they need to know if the engine needs to come out to access the plugs or not. How much of the engine needs to come off before the fuel rails are accessible?

heres a pic of the engine!

highlighted are the plugs... correct?

Not trying to be a smart ass but common dude first off you should never pay some one for something so simple. Second I understand you didnt know different between injectors and plugs but google can be your very best friend. And Motor coming out for plugs this isnt a Lamborghini Diablo or Murcielago.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
I suggest that you take it another shop if they are asking if the engine needs to come out to change the spark plugs..

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
:withhomo

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Guys, the shop is not the one wondering about what needs to be done. It is the OP and his parents who are wondering. He has not spoke to the shop yet. His parents are wondering what their labor cost is going to be in doing this.

As for the comment about google and all that, is it not the purpose of a forum to ask and answer questions about things which we are trying to learn?

Like others have said though, this is a very very easy job to do yourself. Just make sure your plugs are gapped correctly, that you use anti-sieze on the threads and grease on the boots. I can not stress the next point enough, do not over tighten these. If you want some in depth help, other then the excellent pictures posted above, feel free to PM me.

Do you have a simple tool kit? Sockets and extensions? If you have the tools, you can do this for under $15 yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Confused Newbie here

Alright so I took off the cover and when I pulled the long black thingy out it was covered in oil....

Car runs like a champ, but I've never seen a spark submerged in oil before. Should I be concerned or I am in the wrong place. The dip stick reads right so I don't believe it has been over filled.

P.S. It's always the thread were someone says "Super Easy" I get screwed up.

Attachments

·
Formerly whyxitx
12,087 Posts
valve cover gasket maybe? Mine is doing the same thing.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
valve cover gasket maybe? Mine is doing the same thing.
This is what I would guess. There's some flat-donut gaskets that push on to the valve cover and seal between the valve cover and the flat machined surface of the spark plug bore on the head. If that's messed up, or even missing it would fill with oil during operation.

Otherwise there's really no other place for the oil to intrude, since the spark plug bore is part of the head. Other engines have had a similar problem, typically due to bad o-rings on the spark plug bore inserts. Bad gaskets on your valve cover would do the same thing.

Clean out the oil, pull your valve cover (8 bolts), and check those gaskets I mentioned. Order a new set from the dealer if need be. When re-installing, make sure the mating surface on the head is perfectly clean and dry.

·
More average than ever
2,970 Posts
Do it yourself and use the money you save on some nice iridium plugs. I think mach 1 registry says they get you like 3 hp. Not much but a gain is a gain. Buy yourself a torque wrench for the plugs. I believe the plugs need 11 lb/ft. The job took me like 20 minutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's super easy, save the money and do it yourself. i do all of my work myself unless its heavy work, and i'm a female... of course i went to school for this stuff. takes me around 20 mins to do. the ones towards the firewall are the hardest of them all due to things being in the way, but still, it's easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts