Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for 7 years and never changed my tranny fluid... It hasn't gave me any problems yet but I do plan to change the fluid... Does anybody know how to do this?! Maybe a link to a "how-to"? My car has 92k miles... AUTO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i wouldn't change it unless you're having problem. i've heard too many stories about how changing the fluid actually created problems.

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it's supposed to be changed every XX,000 miles as part of maintenance?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes it it supposed to be changed once every 36k miles and depends on what u want to do. A standard drain and fill will consist of you dropping the pan on ur transmission drainginf the fluid, replacing the filter and adding new fluid to top it back off. Now with that being said i will also say that if u have never changed ur fluid it wouldnt be a bad idea to have its "flushed" at a shop. Here at my dealership we charge $179.99 for a tranny flush, but it removes all the fluid from not only ur trans pan, but it also removes all the old burnt fluid from ur torque convertor. I performed a drain and fill on my car at roughly 60k miles... now at right at 120k miles I am going to have it flushed. I have seen flushes save trannys from eating it.. or at least prolonging the death of it ^^ anywho GL with it

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
+1 i heard of horror stories that if its not been done before to be careful. the old trans fluid has been referred to as the glue. take away the glue and things fall apart, gasket wise..once again though i have only had second hand experience from this. (i have never done it but friends have done it.)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
On the 99 and earlier at least there is a drain plug in the torque converter. If you remove that plug as well as drop the oil pan it will get most of the old fluid out (about 10 qts). Then refill with new fluid. I have always used the genuine Ford fluid. I don't see any way this process would do anything but benefit the transmission.

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'll just leave it be until it actually gives out on me.... And when it does....

HELLO NEW MUSTANG!

at least I'll have a good excuse that I can tell my wife so I can get another one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts