Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I've been gone from this forum for way too long. In case anyone wondered, I totaled my old Mustang (someone pulled out in front of me, I hit them at 35, not my fault) and bought a new one (a 93 lx 5.0), which is MUCH better, with the insurance money. I sold the smashed up old one to a fellow mustang enthusiast and mechanic. Skipping all of the mods this one has, I will get straight to the issue I have questions about. After looking all over the internet, I have yet to find someone with this exact issue. There is a strong gas smell which occasionally fills the cabin of the car, and though I have been trying to pinpoint when it happens or why it happens I have been unsuccessful except for noticing that it only happens when I am driving. I am aware of an oil leak due to a bad sending unit for my Autometer fuel pressure gauge (a new one is on the way) but I know that shouldn't be causing this smell of raw, unburned gasoline which is highly noticeable, but not all the time. I am aware that the cats are broken up and rattling as well. I have a new x-pipe waiting to be installed in my garage. Does anyone know if either of these problems may be causing the smell? If it helps, my idle has also been unusually low (around 600-700rpm) and the car wants to stall more often than usual. What can I do to diagnose this problem on my own? Is it the charcoal filter going bad? If so, how to I check if it needs to be replaced? Thanks a lot for any replies,
-Tommy

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Theirs also a solenoid connected to the charcoal canister, if thats not opening, that could be part of your problem.

Where are you smelling it. In the back or under the hood ? Cuz it could be a fuel leak from a few spots at the gas tank.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is only in the cabin that I smell it. Once when I was noticing it, I parked the car and couldn't smell it under the hood and only a little from the exhaust (but I know it is running rich due to the bad cats, the CEL is on). I don't see any leaks under the car besides the small oil leak, but I know it evaporates almost instantly so it may be hard to locate....is ther e any way to check the function of the solenoid?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Have you checked your codes and are you getting code 85?

Code 85 - CANP solenoid - The Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative or missing. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by grounding the gray/yellow wire to the solenoid and blowing through it. The computer provides the ground for the solenoid. The red wire to the solenoid is always energized any time the ignition switch is in the run position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts