Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,so I do have a good bit of bolt ons "intake manifold,TB and plentum,pully,CAI,sct 93 oct tune on weekends,ford racing MAF don't really do much but I guess it helps,MSD ignition coils and stock exhaust manifolds" ok just to make things more narrowed down,I'm already lowered on springs,and I been having major traction issues and rear end bounce,I know that's the lower poo poo factory control arms,but my question is what will be a good start for getting started on building my suspension and my chassis?? Thanks in advance fellas!

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Flsfcs, and lcas will help quite a bit. From there you can get ucas, shock tower brace, cage, strut tower brace...etc. there are a lot of things you can do but if your getting wheel hop, tires can play a role also

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
How much did you lower the car? Wheel hop will increase dramatically if your RLCA chassis mounting location is physically lower to the ground than your RLCA axle mounting location. In other words, wheel hop will increase if your RLCA's are pointed upward towards the rear of the car and not at least parallel to the ground.

Because you lowered your car, I'm assuming your spring rate has increased. Have you upgraded your struts/shocks to compensate for the higher spring rate?

If you're looking to improve your traction off the line, I would suggest a package in which the parts have been engineered and designed to work together such as:
Street & Strip Box, 1999-04 Mustang GT Hardtop [DB-7] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

or go even crazier with:
Launch Box, 1999-04 Mustang GT HT [LB-7] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

I couldn't drop the coin for my suspension all at once. MM was great to work with to improved my suspension in stages which worked great for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
^ yep. MM has all your answers. Stiffen your chassis(FLSFC Welded) stiffer bushings whereever there is a bushing. I dont think MM has them but delrin are flat out the best. Zero deflection but not harsh like solid metal. Although they will create alot more, Ehh lets call it "feel." haha Id do the small things first, subframe connectors,replace all bushings with delrin or poly if you want a more "steetable" ride. new hardware, then control arms then coilovers or springs shocks. The reason in that order because until your chassis is as stiff as possible, your suspension will be less effective at doing what it is designed to do. Also shock tower braces like mentioned above. Kenny Brown racing has an Awesome subframe matrix. 350.00 if I remember correctly?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
These guys pretty much got it: sub-frame connectors, rear upper and lower control arms, these will be a great start, and like Froush said, tires play a role as well

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would start where the problem is. Flsfc are a given to start but read around there's plenty of great knowledge on rear end set ups. You could do tower braces front and rear, heck get a watts bar setup in the rear and go bananas with it. Is your car a toy and you want stiffer launches or do you like whipping curves. These are the things I need to know!! I see you want to make it a built warrior, per your sig, so maybe lay a good foundation and at the least drop the quad shock setup immediatley. I'll find you Jazzers suspension write up so you have more of an idea of what is out there.

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
^ yep. MM has all your answers. Stiffen your chassis(FLSFC Welded) stiffer bushings whereever there is a bushing. I dont think MM has them but delrin are flat out the best. Zero deflection but not harsh like solid metal. Although they will create alot more, Ehh lets call it "feel." haha Id do the small things first, subframe connectors,replace all bushings with delrin or poly if you want a more "steetable" ride. new hardware, then control arms then coilovers or springs shocks. The reason in that order because until your chassis is as stiff as possible, your suspension will be less effective at doing what it is designed to do. Also shock tower braces like mentioned above. Kenny Brown racing has an Awesome subframe matrix. 350.00 if I remember correctly?
Delrin and poly bushings are okay for the front LCA's but not for any location in the rear end. They will make the suspension seem to handle better up until the suspension requires deflection past a certain point. At that point poly and solid bushings will cause binding in the system and cause erratic handling. I agree with what Jazzer mentioned in his un-official suspension guide and go with control arms that have at least one spherical bushing. These allow for free control arm articulation in all 3 dimensions of movement. A poly bushing is okay in one location of RLCA's if they have a spherical bushing at the other end like MM's HD control arms.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
I've just got Sub frame connectors and LCA's.

Cut's a 1.5 60ft and yanked the tires up a foot.

Works fine for me. I was able to cut a 1.55 with stock stuff but I kept running into wheel hop issues with the radials.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much did you lower the car? Wheel hop will increase dramatically if your RLCA chassis mounting location is physically lower to the ground than your RLCA axle mounting location. In other words, wheel hop will increase if your RLCA's are pointed upward towards the rear of the car and not at least parallel to the ground.

Because you lowered your car, I'm assuming your spring rate has increased. Have you upgraded your struts/shocks to compensate for the higher spring rate?

If you're looking to improve your traction off the line, I would suggest a package in which the parts have been engineered and designed to work together such as:
Street & Strip Box, 1999-04 Mustang GT Hardtop [DB-7] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

or go even crazier with:
Launch Box, 1999-04 Mustang GT HT [LB-7] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

I couldn't drop the coin for my suspension all at once. MM was great to work with to improved my suspension in stages which worked great for me.
As far as how much my car was dropped,I have no clue,there is about a good half inch between tires "40-18-255" in the front,but from what I'm concerned I'm dropped on eibach sport line springs and I'm guessing factory struts,this wasn't my doing,bought the car like that,I will certainly look into those 2 links you've explained to me,I appreciate that alot! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And the tires I have on my car this moment are toyo proxies on 18 inch axis halos

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would start where the problem is. Flsfc are a given to start but read around there's plenty of great knowledge on rear end set ups. You could do tower braces front and rear, heck get a watts bar setup in the rear and go bananas with it. Is your car a toy and you want stiffer launches or do you like whipping curves. These are the things I need to know!! I see you want to make it a built warrior, per your sig, so maybe lay a good foundation and at the least drop the quad shock setup immediatley. I'll find you Jazzers suspension write up so you have more of an idea of what is out there.
Yes oneday it will be,as for now it is a daily driver,unless im riding around in the stealth,but in my current state of income I'm doing the "one bolt on" process of doing things,oneday I'm planning to turn it into a car that I can go ride around on weekends and pull up at the tracks run 10 secs laugh at the Chevy guys and be on my way lol,thanks for the link,I'm going to look into that as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts