Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new flywheel. Mine is completely fried and its aluminum. I dont know where to get it resurfaced and since its aluminum its not a great idea to re do it. They say to do it once. My car had the stock clutch but who knows if its been done once already?

I want a cheap one that will function and work properly. I dont care if its iron, steel, aluminum but i dont think its the best idea to get a cheap ebay flywheel

Where and whats the cheapest 8 bolt flywheel for my 03 cobra?

Also should i replace my clutch fork? I think they are like 30 bucks. It doesn't appear to be bent but i think its got a little chunk of metal off it but cant tell.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
if it's only 30 bucks and you think it may be missing a piece i'd just replace it. as far as good priced flywheels go I had a ford racing flywheel in my '95 and that thing took lots of abuse and still looked new when i pulled it off the motor. I would assume the ford racing flywheels would be the same if not cheaper than most other flywheels as well.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Damn man. Check fidanzas aluminum ones. I've heard good things from them. And I don't think they are to bad price wise.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
i would deff go for the ford racing one man. ford racing makes quality stuff and i would trust one in a high hp build, so would for sure be enough for your bolt on termy

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Damn man. Check fidanzas aluminum ones. I've heard good things from them. And I don't think they are to bad price wise.
fidanza's are good too. my buddy put one in his subie, sold the car and the new owner burned the clutch up but the flywheel was still good and it's still goin good to this day.

edit: looks like fidanza's are a little more than the frpp's but they have a replaceable friction surface so you'll never have to worry about buying a whole new flywheel again if you go that route.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. I know i should just buy a new one. This tear down took alot of time today, took me about 4 hours to get the trans off and the bellhousing bolts were a bitch. 6 are ok and 2 ****ing pissed me off. I had a 1.5' extension and a swivel socket to get it off. I had to take out mid pipe, driveshaft, trans, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel and it took like 4 hours. Pisses me off.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
those top 2 bolts can be a big pain if you dont have a 36" extension and an impact swivel socket.

·
MM Official Sammich Maker
6,732 Posts
I have the fidanza flywheel with the dfx combo and I ran the same thing on my eagle talon.
The only thing I did not like in my talon is that the 8lbs flywheel made the rpm's go up very quickly 1st gear was hard to control without watching it carfully.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
While you have the trans out, TOB, pivot stud, and the clutch fork are fairly cheap and are good to replace. I know how you feel, I dropped my trans today, took about 3 hours and was one big pain in the ass (and arms and neck and back lol).

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
you gotta take in consideration what kind of driving your going to be doing. aluminlum flywheels serve a purpose by speeding up rpms's and making a few hp due to the lighter weight. now nodular steel or billet steel wheels are better in my opinion for drag race cause they help with hole shots, and up shifts. also steel wheels help keep clutch chatter down with grabby clutches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts