Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be adding a supercharger soon for around 350-400hp
I want to build a rear end that will hold this since mine is already clunking.

I have two options right now, so I need sugestions
1) limited slip differential $224
2)31 spline axles 279
3) gears plus tuner
4) pay someone to install everything.

or just buy a complete rear end from a 03/04 cobra for around 700-800 bucks and install it my self.

what would you guys do? I dont want to spend 1000+ if I dont need to.
also, would this axles fit? ebay 31 spline

Thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
i think the explorers had a 31 spline t lok rear that i'm sure you could get out of a junk yard for real cheap. then rebuild it and throw some axles at it.

·
Banned
416 Posts
I'm running an 8.8 with an 03 Cobra diff and Moser 31 spline axles. Went with FRPP 3.73 Gears

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
Im putting mine together tmrw

250 31 spline usa alloy shafts
50 used 31 spline carrier ( i swaped my steels and clutches out out of the 28 spline into this one)

doing install my self

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i think the explorers had a 31 spline t lok rear that i'm sure you could get out of a junk yard for real cheap. then rebuild it and throw some axles at it.
they go for around 80 bucks in good shape

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'd go with the first option.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
you may be able to find a explorer gut pack with the gears you want, that way you save some money and kill two birds with one stone

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will look into those explorers then lol

·
Banned
416 Posts
Guys are running 9's with my set up and it's extremely cheap. You won't regret it.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
they go for around 80 bucks in good shape
If they are 80 used and you have to spend $110 for the parts to rebuild it, I'd rather just spend an extra $35 and get a brand new FRPP 31 spline diff. Especially if you have to pay someone else to install the rebuild kit.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
hunt around on craigslist, I posted the deal I found and its always avail, if you give me your location I could prob find you a killer setup here is what I got

31 spline moser axles with studs, bearing and seals new I paid 180

31 spline FRPP diff with brand new master bearing kit, all needed lube and 4.10 gears. I paid 250

My budget rear is all high quality parts and only cost me 430 dollars

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I am with cook on this one. The FRPP spline diff will last a lot longer for a little extra money.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
If they are 80 used and you have to spend $110 for the parts to rebuild it, I'd rather just spend an extra $35 and get a brand new FRPP 31 spline diff. Especially if you have to pay someone else to install the rebuild kit.
there are TONS of low mile gut packs out there,

but it is true buying used **** is a gamble but i guess i dotn mind taking the chace

i have around $300 in my 31 spline rear end

410s free
track lock free ( from a friend)
usa alloy 31 spline axles $250 shipped

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
theres other yards around other than the one i work at that have exploere gut packs with 35k on them for $100

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I got a used 31spline for diff for $50, carbon clutch kit for $100, Moser axles were like $270...then just bearings and fluid.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
there is no RIGHT way to do it

there is just always going to be the way that you want to do and what your budget it allow you to do

so do what you want with the info that everyone has given you

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Mustang rear ends are cheap to build. Cobra 31 spline dif. on Buy Ford Racing is $220, Moser 31 spline axles for $275, or even US Alloys with studs for $220 on Summit, gears are $150, then a re-build kit is like $100.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but is it easy to intsall the diff and axles? or is it like installing gears?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I know it might sound crazy but hit the salvage yard. I have one here that has nothing but Fords and there are plenty of Modded Mustangs (yeah I said it) there. You'd be surprised what you might find. I know it's not the best idea but it will certainly save you some cash.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
i would get alloy usa axles for 230...made out of the same material as the mosers

and i can get you the cobra diff for 200 shipped

1 - 20 of 35 Posts