Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old 2000 v6 Mustang, I installed this air intake from AmericanMuscle. About a month or two later, a check engine light came on saying something about "secondary air induction failure" or something similiar (sorry, I don't have the code).

I ended up selling it and buying a new one (for different reasons) that was a 1999 v6. About 2 months ago, I installed the same brand of air intake from AmericanMuscle. A couple of weeks ago, the check engine light came on; same error code as before. We tried clearing the code and disconnecting the battery, but the code comes back on in a day or two.

When I took it to Midas (all I told them is I need them to read the code), the first thing the guy asked me was "have you done anything to the air intake recently?"

Does my CAI just require a tune, or is there something else wrong with my car?

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I have that same intake. I have never had a check engine light from it.

I've heard that the 05+ need to have a tune with CAI but on the 99-04 it's supposed to be generic. Did you make sure that all the holes were either attached to a line or plugged?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I followed the AmericanMuscle video very closely. The hose is attached properly and the MAF sensor is seated properly. The thing feels really snug, and none of the rubber couplings have any gaps.

The thing does make a slight whistle, but I'm pretty sure it's normal.

·
Registered
304 Posts
can be one of two things either you broke the maf sensor or the intake air sensor try putting your stock intake back on and see if the check engine light is still on if so then one of those is probably your problem

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
can be one of two things either you broke the maf sensor or the intake air sensor try putting your stock intake back on and see if the check engine light is still on if so then one of those is probably your problem
see i thought the same thing when he first told me about this problem, but bc the code is the secondary air injection, i would think it would be the egr crapping out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
is your MAF dirty? try cleanin it an double check the connections an pull another set off KEOF an KEOR tests

....or you could just put a bigger MAF on it wit a tune :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think Johnson might be right. Reading another article I found this:

"..The code is Secondary Air Injection System: Incorect flow detected. I went and felt, and it seems as if there is no flow...."

"The SAI system is intended to help warm the Cat faster by injecting excess air into the exhaust and fuel into the engine during the initial 90-120 seconds the car is started when warm. You will hear the SAI pump run typically on a cold start-up or occasionally when the cat is below proper operating temperature."
When my car starts up, it makes this really weird sound that I never paid attention to, and is usually louder when the air conditioner is on. It sounds like a deep wooshing of air but is unusually noisy until I start to take off (the noise is coming from what sounds like the passenger side airbag area). Could it be that the intake isn't even related and it's just a bad SAI pump?

I'm 99% certain the error code was: P0411

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I think the sound you're hearing is just the intake. When the AC is on it opens up the IAC valve to increase idle speed which in turn will make your intake a lot louder.

Secondary air injection is an emissions control that is on California level emissions equipped vehicles. It is possible that the tube is either clogged or another part of the system isn't opening to allow air in.

I'm not very familiar with secondary air injection.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
On my old 2000 v6 Mustang, I installed this air intake from AmericanMuscle. About a month or two later, a check engine light came on saying something about "secondary air induction failure" or something similiar (sorry, I don't have the code).

I ended up selling it and buying a new one (for different reasons) that was a 1999 v6. About 2 months ago, I installed the same brand of air intake from AmericanMuscle. A couple of weeks ago, the check engine light came on; same error code as before. We tried clearing the code and disconnecting the battery, but the code comes back on in a day or two.

When I took it to Midas (all I told them is I need them to read the code), the first thing the guy asked me was "have you done anything to the air intake recently?"

Does my CAI just require a tune, or is there something else wrong with my car?
if you still have your old one, try putting that back on for awhile and see if the code comes back up. If it doesn't you know it's something with that setup, BTW what kind of CAI are you using?
i think its that one :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was told once you install a CAI, you restart your car. Disconecting the batteryb and waiting 5 minutes, then putting it back on. Only so your car tunes itself to the new intake. But, it's something someone told me they did. I have no personal experience with it

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the same problem with my car. Except I have a K&N fipk2 intake on it. I have just learned to live with the annoying little light.

·
Banned
837 Posts
CAI will not make a CE light come on unless its one that changes the MAF housing , you need to post up what code it is , its more than likely NOT the CAI causing it ....

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^ Agreed, these cars don't need a tune or flash or anything to install stock MAF sized intakes, so long as all the connections are still there. Definitely get the code scanned and make sure what it is. As said, those lights go on for a reason, ignoring them can lead to bigger issues.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
You shouldn't have issues (what year is your car?) S197s (2005+) DO need a tune with most after market intakes. S95s and New edge stangs (94-04) DO NOT need a tune to install after market intakes. So long as you connect everything properly you should be fine, and don't buy a name brand, it's pointless, all CAI's for new edges do basically the same thing. Many members here actually have made their own, and the performance is very similar if not the same.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
I have gotten it looked at and all the code says is something about the o2 sensor. Idk it doesnt really bother me. And everyone I have talked to mechanic wise has said it doesnt matter.
do u know what the o2 sensors do for the car? a faulty o2 sensor needs to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts