Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this CEL couple days ago and I checked out the forum here and there was plenty of info to help troubleshoot this issue.

This CEL is for the Mustang's EVAP system and there are plenty of possible candidates for possible replacement. Below is a short list:

1. Vapor Canister purge valve
2. Vapor Canister
3. Rubber tubing (mine was red/black striped)

What I discovered was a nearly broken off rubber tubing that comes from the Vapor Canister to the purge valve. It was literally hanging on by a thread. My quick fix was to simply cut away the bad tubing and re-attach the tubing to the solenoid. However, I plan on removing all this old tubing just for good measure. Drove the car about 15 miles and no CEL. I'll post again if this CEL comes back.

Cheers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Ok!! Simply cutting off the bad end and reattaching it to the solenoid DID NOT fix the P1443 CEL, it returned about 20 minutes into the second test drive.

I've since replaced all rubber tubing that goes into and out of the Vapor Cannister (a somewhat longer-than-expected task since the passenger side front tire and wheel house cover must be removed to gain access) and leading up to the solenoid followed by the sensor. In all, I would guess its about 6 feet of rubber tubing of mostly the 1/4 inch variety. The other tubing required looks to be about 3/8 inch (guess).

Also, I did take somebody's advise on this forum and cleaned the solenoid with carbuerator cleaner as thoroughly as possible. There are two very small openings to clean out and mostly the cleaner would shoot right back out (be careful...lolz.). Anyway, its cleaned about as good as I could get it and if the CEL comes back I do have a replacement standing by.

Total cost for repair: $10

Cheers..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:

Ok...its been more than 4 days and about 300 miles driven since I replaced all the bad EVAP hoses and cleaned the solenoid and still no CEL. In fact, the engine has never run this good since I've owned the vehicle.

Hope these inputs help you fix your P1443 CEL!

Cheers...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its mostly to control fuel vapors being released into the atmosphere as best as I can tell. That solenoid is normally closed, until you turn on the ignition, then it opens. The vacuum from the intake manifold allows the fuel vapors back into the engine for combustion?

Anyway, a broken line anywhere in that system will cause a vacuum problem and likely kick that CEL 1443. Mine was intermittent and a real bitch to figure out. Took me several years in fact.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice bro, glad you got the problem fixed.

What in the hell is the EVAP lol I have that code as well lol
Like he mentioned, the EVAP system is to control fuel vapors in the fuel tank. The purge solenoid is a N/C (normally closed) valve that is actuated by the PCM at a predetermined point, to draw out fuel vapors from the tank and directs them to the intake manifold to be burned off through combustion. Also, the purge solenoid should not be confused with the canister vent solenoid, which is a normally open valve, normally venting to the atmosphere. This closes once the purge solenoid is commanded on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"where is this stuff located ?"

The solenoid on my car is located on the left side of the engine bay hiding underneath the fuel lines. If you follow the rubber tubing from the intake manifold (going to the left) you'll first come to the electrical device that kicks that P1443 code and then leads directly to the solenoid.

Type a search in google for "Vapor Canister purge valve" and you can see a picture of what you are looking for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It just passes through the solenoid on its way to the cannister.

One tube goes into the firewall (fender) where it connects to the vapor canister. The other end goes to an electrical device that kicks the CEL if no vacuum is present, after that, it goes into the intake. I think both ends of the solenoid are identical size on mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:

Vehicle not fixed after all.

I've done a bunch of work to the EVAP system but it still kicks a 1443 CEL, usually within a day or two of a reset, despite replacing most of the EVAP hardware. I've listed the parts replaced so far.

1. Rubber tubing (tubing was in fact broken open and crumbling)
2. Purge flow sensor
3. Purge flow solenoid
4. Vapor Canister
5. Fuel Cap

The only parts that have not been replaced yet would be the Fuel Tank and the Evaporative Emission Valve (located on the fuel tank). Both parts have been checked.

An interesting problem to say the least?

Anyway, I've discovered some data and it does lead me in a different direction altogether. It involves the Idle Air Control Valve and I'll cut and paste the info here.

Non-enhanced evaporative systems use either a Canister Purge Solenoid or a Vapor Management Valve to
control purge vapor. These systems are tested differently as described below.

The Vapor Management Valve (VMV) output circuit is checked for opens and shorts internally in the PCM by
monitoring the status of the duty-cycled output driver. When the output driver is fully energized, or de-energized,
the feedback circuit voltage should respond high or low accordingly (P0443).

The VMV functional check uses the idle airflow correction for the IAC solenoid to check for adequate purge flow.
The VMV is a source of engine airflow at idle, therefore, a change is VMV airflow will produce a corresponding
change in IAC airflow. The IAC airflow correction is checked while the VMV is normally open (> 75%), then
checked again after the VMV is commanded closed (0 %). If the difference in IAC airflow corrections is too small,
it indicates inadequate VMV flow (P1443).

The Canister Purge (CANP) solenoid output circuit is checked for opens and shorts internally in the PCM by
monitoring the status of the duty-cycled output driver. When the output driver is fully energized, or de-energized,
the feedback circuit voltage should respond high or low accordingly (P0443). The Purge Flow Sensor is check for
circuit continuity (P1444, P1445)

The CANP solenoid functional check uses a Purge Flow Sensor (PFS) to check for adequate purge flow. The PFS
voltage is checked when the solenoid valve is normally open (> 75%), then checked when the solenoid valve is
commanded closed (0%). Too low a difference between the voltages indicates inadequate canister purge flow or a
PFS malfunction (P1443).

1996 MY OBD System Operation
Summary for Gasoline Engines

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
I have the same problems,i can't fix it, it also causes my #8 fuse to blow. But you're posting in the wrong section try the v8 section they helped me more than here. Maybe not that many v6 mustang owners have had this problem

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Good Ole' American Muscle
323 Posts
I had this problem and still do. The CEL comes on everynow and then and goes off for a while all on it's own.

When I got my new CAI the hose running off the nozzle up by the throttle body that goes to the cannister, actually ripped when I tried attaching it to the new CAI nozzle. So it was just kind of hangin there for a while because I could not find the new part and I could not figure out how to fix it. The end of the hose that attaches to the CAI nozzle is a 1/2 inch and the part that attaches to the housing on the other end that goes into the EVAP system is a 3/8ths inch. So, I had a hard time coming up with a soluation on how to get it to fit.

I had two issues because of this, 1. the engine wasn't getting as much air as possible because the hose was loose and free air was just flowing through the nozzle ending and the EVAP system wasn't getting air at all. My gas mileage was pretty awful because of this.

Now, AM could have done us all a solid and made that nozzle running off the top of the CAI a 3/8th diameter so that it matched up with the housing on the EVAP system.

So, I got a 1/2 hose and just RTV the 3/8th end on the EVAP system and created a tight seal to get it to work. Gas mileage went up significantly and my HP did too. Engine runs much, much smoother.

That little hose is very, very poorly designed. The hose disintegrates literally over time and it is cut so that it is just long enough to STRETCH to fit. There is not extra slack at all and it causes an issue.

IMO, the AM CAI is just sized wrong on that nozzle. It needs to be a 3/8th diameter ending not at 1/2 inch.

I don't care about the light anymore. It only comes on everyone 300 miles or so and it only stays on for about 100 miles then it goes off for another 300 miles. I know the system is getting the air, so I couldn't care less about the stupid light.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Vehicle is FIXED!!!!

After struggling with this problem its finally repaired and the engine is performing very well. If you follow this thread then you already know that I've replaced nearly the entire EVAP system in this car. Mostly it consists of a lot of rubber tubing (that was breaking apart) coupled with a few vents/valves/and sensors; most of those parts were in very poor shape anyway. I've itemized my list in case anyone out there is needing to do a similar action on their pony.

1. Rubber tubing (tubing was in fact broken open and crumbling) (approx. $10)
2. Purge flow sensor (approx. $25)
3. Purge flow solenoid (approx. $39)
4. Vapor Canister (approx. $89)
5. Evap Emission valve (approx. $60)
6. Fuel Cap (approx. $20)

So what fixed this problem? I'm sure that's the main reason you're viewing this thread so I'll try and make this simple. Probably a little bit of all the actions listed above. This system is very very sensitive to any change in the engine operation and its likely that a few (marginally) bad parts led to tripping the 1443. I did replace the Purge flow solenoid twice (the new part was bad) and sprayed electrical contact cleaner in every electrical connection I could locate in the engine bay.

*******Those two final actions kept the light OFF!!!********

The contact cleaner I used was from Radio Shack and has another name called "tuner cleaner" I believe.

When troubleshooting this code I did get sent into many different directions and I would caution anyone repairing this code to try and stick within the parameters of the EVAP system. Some components are only "loosely-related" to the EVAP system (i.e. IAC, Fuel Pressure Regulator, ect...).

One last bit of advice:

Keep your receipts for any parts you buy since these parts usually have a warranty and will keep you from paying more $$$ should you encounter that rare defective part.

Cheers!!!!!

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
I had this code...never replaced any of those parts lol
But I think you should add a link to your signature for other members to see

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My 1443 code started out as an "intermittent" problem initially but later (many years) was on most of the time.

Early on the CEL would light up for a few days only to be gone several months; not a real problem since I could get it emissions tested without too much effort. The intermittent stage of this problem went away last year after "teasing" me for about 6 years. When the light came on permanently then I found myself compelled to solve this issue.....

Cheers...

·
bessemerengine
1 Posts
Followed your thread. My purge valve was stuck closed. Carb cleaner alone would not do it, a little compressed air and the thing popped open. Cycled in a vise with a motorcycle battery to check it. Love the forums. You saved me some cash, thanks..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts