Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 99 GT has had the dreaded check fuel cap light on for quite some time now. I keep messing around with a few things, swapping some things out to no avail. I get frustrated with it and leave it for a while,then come back to it. So far I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump (steeda), fuel cap, fuel neck gasket at the tank, charcoal canister solenoid....

Today I just replaced the vapor management valve in the passenger side fender well. I reset the computer by unhooking the battery for about a half hour, then took it for a drive. The light was off for about 3 miles, then came back on and hasn't gone off since. :mad:

I've checked the lines from the tank to the canister, then to the vapor management valve...on to the motor. All lines seem fine, no kinks, no visible holes, nothing unplugged.

So, my questions are...what else is there? Are there any other sensors or valves besides the vapor management valve and the charcoal solenoid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Check Fuel Cap light. On the dash...the furthest to the right on the "message center" I believe next to the e-brake light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It senses an Evap leak. It's not a hard code that throws the check engine light. Evap malfunction somewhere in the fuel evap system.

I can take a picture of the light if you'd like :D

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I know it will throw a check engine light if it's off long enough.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Yes, it actually says check fuel cap. At least mine did when my filler neck gasket went bad.

Edit: Should clarify that...it threw a cel first, and then after it got really bad, the check fuel cap light came on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts