Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys, A while back I had my engine **** it self and we were not exactly sure what went wrong. We originally thought it was a spun main berring. But we weren't sure cause we never pulled the engine. Now, I have pulled the engine, and I want to know what went wrong. I know enough to be able to be able to disassemble and everything, but I want to know of any easy ways to check my short block.

I suspect that I actually only had a rocker fail and it failing caused the lifter to shoot out and the rest is history. The only thing we know for sure is, the lifter deflated and shot out of place. This is the only way the rockers could come off, (unless they failed and broke apart).

So first things first, I can check the pistons and see that they are fine, and I can pull the oil pan to look at the bottom end. How can I tell if a bearing spun though? And How can I tell if maybe one of the oil path ways got plugged, or the oil pump failed. I'd like to avoid going to a machine shop if I can. but if I have to, I will do that. I just wanted to avoid it so I don't have to have it all torn apart if its all fine or something.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
wiggle your rod caps if they move a lot then that bearing is bad. as for the oil paths if you dont want to go to a machine shop take a long peice of flexible wire ad push it through. as for the pump ide go ahead and repalce it since your already in there

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I'll do that. Is there any good way to check the main bearings?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
if your crank has play they r bad up&down or forward&back

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I can jiggle my end caps a tiny bit side to side, that means its toast right?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
why not do a rebuild while its out?

....or i think you already started a thread on this... :shiftyeyes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts