Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help trying to figure out what to use for a check valve from the intake manifold to the driver side valve cover. I recently turbo'd my car using an On3 kit. Basically I have a huge boost leak because it's going from the intake into the head and presurizing the motor rather than just the cyclinders per se. I have it plugged off right now, but that's causing other issues. Basically I need to stop the air from going to the valve cover, but allow air to escape the valve cover back to the intake. I know this may not make sense to most, but surely there are a few who do. I've tried to use check valves from other cars, but can't find one that I can use inline or has been big enough ports without having to step down the hose to a much smaller diameter hose. That just leaves more room for leaks. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Are you talking about the PCV that connects from the driverside valve cover the the intake near the throttle body?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep! Vortech has a part that they include in their kits. I even have a part number for it. It lloks like something they just put together with pieces from a part store or even Lowe's. I'm trying to find info on it.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Do you have an Oil Seporator, on that line?

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
well you should have one, stop oil from coating the inside of your intake, and getting into the combustion chamber, and if air is going from the intake though the PCV into the valve cover then that valve is at fault because its a one way valve.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is a check valve already in the driver side valve cover. What makes you think this is what's happening vs having a "loose" motor with a lot of blow by? Venting to atmosphere is another option.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
and if you have it plugged of you either have to plug up all of the spots on the intake pipe and run breathers, or you run oil seperators and still leave it connected to the intake, or you could run a hybrid but I wouldnt reccomend that even thought thats what I use.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok let me clarify. I don't have a seperator or a pcv valve on the car now. I got an on3 kit and it didn't come with one, nor did on3 ever say it needed one. A friend of mine has a vortech system on his car in which they added one. Is there an internal check valve on the valve cover? Otherwise, I was just looking at the vortech setup and was going to either try and buy one from them or make one.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
:facepalm:yes you do have a PCV, thats whats on both valve covers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As you can see, I cut the hose and plugged it off. I was going to put a breather on the valve cover. There was no kind of pcv valve in line. Only other things there are the two 90 degree plastic couplers that held the hose there. The hose was factory and has never been messed with. So if there where would the pcv be otherwise?

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
there should be another one on the passanger side looks smaller but its on the valve cover and connects to the intake, if you want to run a breather your gonna have to run it on this one aswell, and cap the intake on the otherside too.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts

If you look at my engine, you see that big breather thats for the oil filler, but if you look to the left just a tiny bit, you see a hose coming out of the valve cover, thats the PCV, same thing as on the drivers side just smaller, if you look you can see my intake is capped off on the factory intake hose and its just to the left of the hold your hood up rod.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, I'm not trying to start an arguement, but look at the pic. That is the intake that is plugged off. I'm trying to put a pcv valve inline so that they can breathe back to the intake, but not allow boost pressure to leave the intake and go into the valve cover. Follow me? Here is a pic of what Vortech does. This is the pcv they supply with one of their kits.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I honestly dont see why you need two PCV valves, but let me ask you this, do you want to run breathers or do you want to have everything hooked up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am running a breather on my passenger side like you are, because with the turbo charge pipe going into the throttle body, that connection was lost. However, on the driver side it's not.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
well you have to run breathers or not run them, theres no half and half,so you dont want to get that thing from vortech.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like to leave as much of the car hooked up the way it was as possible. Just seems "rigged" having a piece of hose coming off the intake with a lug nut clamped in the end of it, then having another breather there. I can't remember the reasoning right now, but I was told that it would be best to have everything reconnected and put a pcv in line.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Ok this is what you want to do, Get an Oil Seporator, dont get that Vortech thing, all it does is mount inline of the picture you showed
Moroso Mustang Air/Oil Separator (05-10 GT) 85477 - Free Shipping!

Look through the customer pictures to get an idea of where and how its located, it connects from that brass looking fitting coming from the valve cover in your picture, to the other nipple that you have hoseclapped and something put inside of it on the intake.

Then all you want to do is reuse the stock line for the passenger side and recconect it
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...install-w-pics-100km029-pict0103_pict0103.jpg

^^ Thats how the drivers side should look, a line comes from the PCV on the valve cover, goes into the seperator, gets rid of the oil in the air, then goes out and into the intake.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts