Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just bought her yesterday... nothing special really just a 2008 black and black 5 speed GT... 450 miles on the clock still breakin her in nice and ..easy..
my first mustang so, looking foward to learning this 24v modular platform... I'm accustomed to LS series chevy small blocks as my project is a 2002 gmc sierra turned psycho. few questions for yall mod tech's:

has anybody had success tuning these engines with HP Tuners?

where are the weak links in these car's? how much HP on the stock bottom?, how high can you twist them?, i saw something about the stock tr3650 only holding 360ft lbs.. is that right? seams these things are WAY detuned... thinking of throwing some time in and running high test. any tried this? i have i have HP for the LS series havent even check to see if it will work for 08 or might need a update.
hey plan on enjoying and learning a lot from this forum.

chris in virginia

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
Welcome. Alot say the stock bottom end is good to 475-500, no more. Haven't heard that about the tranny though. A handheld tuner with custom tune and cai will get you off to a good start.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
You wanna get an sct tuner for the ford. Looks like a pretty nice car! The weak point of the car is the internals. With a safe tune, lots of people have run 470hp with no problems, but i wouldn't recommend going much higher than that before you forged the rotating assembly. As long as you don't go crazy on the car, your drivetrain should be fine up to that hp also, but over 470hp and it's time to start replacing a lot of things(internals,tranny,clutch,flywheel,driveshaft,and rear end) A great first mod for your car is a tuner and cold air intake. This will probably run you about $550, but it is well worth it. The JLT CAI and sct xcal 3 from bamachips.com is $550 and will add about 26hp, not to mention, it will also really wake your car up. 4:10's also are fun with these cars. If you plan on forced induction, you might wanna go with 3:73's, but the 4:10's are pretty quick and you don't suffer too much MPG on these cars.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
nice picture Picaso, and welcome to the site. I would go with a CAI and SCT Handheld Tuner to start with or just get a supercharger and get it over with

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i gather... i thought something seamed odd when i saw that these cars need adjustment for just a damn intake..
so here's what im doing i guess:

c&l intake, long tubes, catless x pipe, 3.73s (i want to get to 60 by at least second gear...) on a eaton lsd, nice clutch, 150 wet, hp tuned...
what do yall think about this combo.. looking for high to mid 12's (on dr's)...and a nice daily driver hahaha

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
JLT intake makes same hp as c&l and is cheaper. Don't know if you want a catless xpipe. It will probably sound really raspy. I would suggest either a catted xpipe, or an o/r h-pipe. With 4:10's you can get to 58.03mph in second gear before needing to shift. With 3:73's you could get to 63mph. Don't think that's really that much of a differance. With 4:10's you would be at 2,800 rpm at 80mph.

...Don't forget you'll need a tuner with all that stuff you plan of buying.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
like i said i plan on using HP once they come out with the 09 update... i usually run catless where i live... cops, judge... no one gives a ****... i think itll sound good through some mag's or a hooker... just gonna throw in 4* and 10% gas to start with run 93, set the fans at 180... see how that works.
is there any need to twist these motors higher than 6k?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
yeah with better heads and cams the motor can make some nice power up there but stock the engine makes its peak at 5700 rpm, so no need to go past 6k

·
Registered
644 Posts
Welcome to MM!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
south hill... 2 hours south of richmond... i run at petersburg and Roxboro.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
welcome to MM and congrats on the new ride...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts