Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chemical guys Hybrid Optical Polish Review.

Please Read the disclaimer and beginning note before watching the video

Disclaimer:
Before you view the read/watch the review, please note that i dont claim to be a completely professional detailer and i have limited experience with CG's polishes, this is just my experience on a neglected car and my opinions based off of my findings, im not claiming which products are the "Best" overall, i am simply showing you what ive found using the techniques that ive come to believe are best for me.

Note:
Another note, in the 3rd/4th video i get a little confused and temporarily mis-remembered as to which polishes i used on each section so here is a map of exactly what polish/pad i used on each section just to keep it straight. Again this is my first official video review so go easy on me, i tend to talk quickly and babble a bit, but its all about detailing so im sure most of you guys wont mind listening.

V34/Yellow
V34/Orange
V36/Green
V34/Org Followed by V38/Blue
M105/Yellow Followed by PO85RD/Blue

Oh and one more thing, i interchangeably used the word "holograms" and "buffing swirls" im not sure if thats detailing kosher but said something about DA's arent supposed to do that...i forgot i was compounding, youll hear me correct myself, do my knowledge thats the only time i sounded like an idiot lol.

What the videos in order 1-4, then the final video. Dont forget to watch it in HD!!

Chemical Guys Optical Polish Review 1 of 4 - YouTube
Chemical Guys Optical Polish Review 2 of 4 - YouTube
Chemical Guys Optical Polish Review 3 of 4 - YouTube
Chemical Guys Optical Polish Review 4 of 4 - YouTube

Final Video
I felt that the comparison between 34/38 and 105/85 werent shown very well in the small areas i was polishing in, so i taped off bigger sections to show a better comparison.

Chemical Guys Vs Meguiars/Menzerna - YouTube

My Final Thoughts

I was impressed with V34's ability to correct alot and still finish well. That being said, i still dont think it can run with M105 on how deep it can cut, but it well worth the trade off for the easy of use. V34 works like a polish and you can work it for a while with VERY little dusting. So for a car with major defects and hard paint M105 is still the way to go. But for most of us hobby detailers who keep our rides mostly swirl/scratch free, v34 should have plenty of cut with the appropriate pad.
Also note that Chemical Guys recently released V32, their most aggressive "Low dust" Optical polish yet, id like to see how that compares to 105.

Another thing that impressed me is how much correction you can get from V36 with a medium pad, very comparable to m205 and i think it may actually have a longer working time.

V38- This is a good next best thing if Menzerna 85RD doesnt do well on your paint composition, that being said, on my Black 03 Mach 1, Menzerna finishes 100% PERFECTLY with ZERO buffer swirls or micromarring and v38 did not. V38 does have a VERY long working time.

I think the secret here is what combination of polishes you use. Personally for my next correction on my Mach 1, since my defects are moderate to mild, im going to do a 2 step. Im going to start with either v34 or v36 but finish with Menzerna 85RD. This will give me the advantage of the low dust with CG's polishes and the perfect finish of Menzerna.

Thanks for reading and watching guys!

Reactions: PapaSmurf

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Thanks for making this thread and comparing the results. I was just looking at the CG optical polish line and was wondering how theyd compare against m105 m205. Im pretty impressed by what you posted about the CG line, however I think im just going to stick with the megs linup. Reps btw/

I do have a question. Is there any benifit of finishing with 85RD after using m105 and 205 or is it a waste of time?

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for making this thread and comparing the results. I was just looking at the CG optical polish line and was wondering how theyd compare against m105 m205. Im pretty impressed by what you posted about the CG line, however I think im just going to stick with the megs linup. Reps btw/

I do have a question. Is there any benifit of finishing with 85RD after using m105 and 205 or is it a waste of time?
Thanks for the reps man, If you are correcting for the first time or you have some pretty substantial defects then 105 with an orange pad should get most of your defects out. But CG has come out with v32 recently so id look into that. The thing that sucks about 105 is it dusts like a bitch and the working time isnt nearly as good as v34. I suspect v32 will work really well for the amount of cut it will have but probably not as well as v34, which works really well.

As far as 85RD goes, it depends on your preference man, on a black car absolutely, and if i owned a darker blue or red car i would as well because im a perfectionist. 205 is very pad dependent so if you use it with a medium/light pad it finishes really really well. If you are doing your first correction you can totally go with 105/205 and youll be happy with the results. You have to look really hard to see the buffing marks from 205. But not on black, hardest color to get right lol, decimates ALL when you do though. lol

Thanks again for the reps.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
No problem. I actually have the Meguiars DA microfiber kit. It actually has as much cut as m105 but finishes better. I was a little dissapointed in it at first with a couple areas I did on my car, but I think it may have been my technique and not cleaning the pad as much as I should. I was also working more than a 2'x2' area so yeah lol. Could also be my PC. I feel its a little underpowered. I have had great results on a few of my co workers cars that I have corrected though. It corrected a huge scuff on my friends 2011 Toyota Tundra. Im going to try and keep it as simple as possible. I would like to maybe use the D300 for the initial cut and maybe finish it down with m205 and a hydrotech pad or maybe even try one of those lighter cutting optical polishes you used along with maybe the 85RD if its as good as everyone claims it is.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
After two full steps the last thing you'll want to do is a third :lol
The gloss m205 provides is perfect for me, sf4500 provided a small improvement for me, wasn't any marring but it just took the gloss to a slightly higher level, I regret buying sf4500 for my use

Nice review Mach, I sold my v34 awhile ago I never really gave it much of a chance, maybe ill pickup the entire line of polishes for customers vehicle as Im very happy with just 205 on my paint :dunno

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I think there are very few things that can cut with the amount of M105. But M105 I feel blows to work with. But every paint is different as well. If you have really soft paint then you can get the amount of cut 105 can give on a harder paint with lesser of a compound. I use to love 85rd as it was the only thing that would finish down properly on my black mustang. But now that I have these Subarus I hate it because it just does not play nice with when trying to remove. Its like trying to wipe off dried concrete compared to on the mustang it would just wipe off with no problem. So I had to move away from a polish i really liked. I am very pleased with how v38 plays with my paint on my car so I will likely be investing into the others as well since it works well on my paint.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After two full steps the last thing you'll want to do is a third :lol
The gloss m205 provides is perfect for me, sf4500 provided a small improvement for me, wasn't any marring but it just took the gloss to a slightly higher level, I regret buying sf4500 for my use

Nice review Mach, I sold my v34 awhile ago I never really gave it much of a chance, maybe ill pickup the entire line of polishes for customers vehicle as Im very happy with just 205 on my paint :dunno
You are right sonic, after 2 steps you are ready to have a beer and quit lol. On your color i would say you can finish with 205, even on red i think you could get away with it, black requires that damn third step, but to be honest only really the first time you correct, ill be able to get full correction now using a heavy medium polish and final polish. Like i said, its a preference thing, dannyboy281- if he were here- would have chimed it right now and harped about the amazing clarity and finish that you get from SF4500 lol, cause he had a black GT.

Just a side note, you wont be able to see the buffing marks from 205 under a worklight. But if you take your cell phone light, spotlight, something that shoots a stream of light instead of flooding light, then the marks from 205 become more apparent, like i said its not bad at all, normal person wouldnt be able to see it, but in the sun at the right angle you can. It obviously depends on the pad you use and such as well. Ive fallen in love with my brinkman inspection light, it shows more swirls than my work light does lol.

Sonic i would look into v34 when you run out of 105, i didnt give it a chance either but now i think coupled with the right pad it is a Godsend because of how easy it is to work and how clean it stays, and since youre defects will be fairly minor, the cut of 105 wont be necessary, itll buy you more time before that day you polish through your paint hahaha

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
dc should carry their line of polishes then :mad:
honestly m105 finishes mar free for me, finished extremely ****ing well on my paint, I could have stopped at 105 and still be very happy, but m205 bumps it up a notch in my case

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
honestly m105 finishes mar free for me, finished extremely ****ing well on my paint, I could have stopped at 105 and still be very happy, but m205 bumps it up a notch in my case
I had really good results with m105 on a cyan pad. Like, realllllly good. I will finish with m205 and I thought about going to v38 after that but I don't think I will have to. . . I honestly don't know if it would even make a difference.

I tried to rep you man but it still won't let me. Great review on these products. I cannot believe how good 34 to 38 looks.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW, must be nice having blue lol. You saw the compounding haze i got in the vid and thats on green metallic paint. I dont think 105 is ever a good place to stop, if you are using it right its most likely going to leave some hazing that would be pretty apparent in the sun, dont get me wrong it finishes well for the cut it has. But definitely end with at least a final polish.

I had really good results with m105 on a cyan pad. Like, realllllly good. I will finish with m205 and I thought about going to v38 after that but I don't think I will have to. . . I honestly don't know if it would even make a difference.

I tried to rep you man but it still won't let me. Great review on these products. I cannot believe how good 34 to 38 looks.
Shook, also check with a spotlight after 105/205, worklights flood the paint with light and make it harder to see hazing, if you use a spotlight the hazing/buffing swirls pop out alot with a spotlight. Check your whole car using a powerful beam of light like a big flashlight after you finish with 205. Look really good and you may find that v38 is necessary.

Like i said before its preference. Shook when you correct the next time just do a heavy medium followed by a final polish like v38. Then youll get the final polish without having to do a 3 step.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
First off awesome review. I
Have the entire v line from cg, now I do not have the experience that most of u guys do but I will tell u 105 still cuts harder the V32... I think v32 just doesnt quite remove as much as 105 can and that I feel that 105 cuts faster too. I still like the v line tho. V38 rocks. I have blacklight as well and love it!

Sent from my SGH-T759 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have the entire v line from cg, now I do not have the experience that most of u guys do but I will tell u 105 still cuts harder the V32... I think v32 just doesnt quite remove as much as 105 can and that I feel that 105 cuts faster too. I still like the v line tho. V38 rocks. I have blacklight as well and love it!

Thanks man

I would agree to most of that, but i would give v32 another chance as you learn what technique works best for you youll learn how to make something cut deeper. Im not saying it will cut as deep as 105 but wait until youve put some hours on that polisher before you discount it. I did the same thing with v34, and when i did this review, it surprised the hell out of me.

For me its the trade off between the ease of use and cut, ill always have a bottle of M105 around because itll get anything out, but once you correct the first time, if you take care of your ride, you shouldnt need 105 much again.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
WOW, must be nice having blue lol. You saw the compounding haze i got in the vid and thats on green metallic paint. I dont think 105 is ever a good place to stop, if you are using it right its most likely going to leave some hazing that would be pretty apparent in the sun, dont get me wrong it finishes well for the cut it has. But definitely end with at least a final polish.

Shook, also check with a spotlight after 105/205, worklights flood the paint with light and make it harder to see hazing, if you use a spotlight the hazing/buffing swirls pop out alot with a spotlight. Check your whole car using a powerful beam of light like a big flashlight after you finish with 205. Look really good and you may find that v38 is necessary.

Like i said before its preference. Shook when you correct the next time just do a heavy medium followed by a final polish like v38. Then youll get the final polish without having to do a 3 step.
Try it with a cyan pad some time

·
Banned
8,398 Posts

Then where are your write ups!

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts

Will do.

After this I will be using Fixer to clean anything up that I need to. That stuff is great and finishes insanely well. I can follow fixer up with v38 so it won't take much.

I'm going to do 205 for sure but we will see about v38. I'll know after 205.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Fixer on a cyan pad followed up by v38 on a green buffNShine look amazing on my paint

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try it with a cyan pad some time
Im sure it will finish nicely, it already does, but on black the buffing marks are VERY apparent, lol. Im going to do v36/85rd when i correct next time.

Will do.

After this I will be using Fixer to clean anything up that I need to. That stuff is great and finishes insanely well. I can follow fixer up with v38 so it won't take much.

I'm going to do 205 for sure but we will see about v38. I'll know after 205.
Im sure v38 will finish well, but if i were you id pick up some 85RD, for our mustangs its the best final polish IME. Check with vader and see if he has some 85rd im sure he will swap you some v38 as thats his go to.

Fixer on a cyan pad followed up by v38 on a green buffNShine look amazing on my paint
I would agree with that, Im doing either fxr or v36 followed by 85rd. My defects are really mild so im gonna test fxr/205/v36 followed by 85rd to see which yields the best results. I also always use a blue pad with 85rd, im curious to use a green and see how it finishes.

NIce review dude! Looking forward to the LSP review more though. :bubba:
Thanks bro, LSP review comes TOMORROW!!!!

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 40 Posts