Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my car mustve been backed into in a parking lot or something because on my front bumper where a plate would go there is an indentation of an oval almost like a trailer hitch hookup or something and on the bottom part of the impression my paint is now chipping...:mad: question is, what should I do in the meantime until i gather money to have it repaired so it wont spread....i was thinking maybe taking some fine grit sand paper and feather down the chip and make it like evened down to the primer? if that makes sense...input would be greatly appreciated! :D

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
^+1 get the motorcraft touch up paint form your ford dealer its like $15 and then some clear nail polish on top to prevent the spread like An82 said its like painting and clearing it in a small section.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should i sand it at all or around it? where the edges are coming up? im gonna try to post pictures tomorrow of the scratch and maybe you guys can get a better idea of what im talking about. Appreciate all your advice! thanks!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Dang, someone keyed my car so I just want to AutoZone and got the touch up paint in my color code, only a few dollars and worked wonders. I didn't sand or anything. Its held up great, after 2 months of washing the car 1-2 times a week and still no chipping or anything. I don't see the point in spending 15 bucks form the Ford Dealer for the same stuff at auozone for 7 bucks.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Dang, someone keyed my car so I just want to AutoZone and got the touch up paint in my color code, only a few dollars and worked wonders. I didn't sand or anything. Its held up great, after 2 months of washing the car 1-2 times a week and still no chipping or anything. I don't see the point in spending 15 bucks form the Ford Dealer for the same stuff at auozone for 7 bucks.
reason for me getting it at the ford dealer is that all the autozones in my city didnt have the color it would have had to order it and wait till it came in so i just got it from the dealer that day...as long as the paint code matches if they have it at autozone go for it **** you can get two for the price of one

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don'y worry about sanding it out... It's just gonna make a bigger mess right now.... (And it'll look worse than if you just go overtop of it...) Just dab a little bit of color in it... (Enough to cover...), let it dry... (Should only take a fiew min.... , follow up with clear nail polish.... That should do it... (The only thing that I would do afterwords is when washing it don't hit it with a pressure washer....) Good luck!!

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
touch up paint should fix that. I had worse then you and touch up paint fixed it perfectly. Just make sure you don't use too much.

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
yeah...i had a friend that used too much and it dried...it was only noticeable to him and me because we're anal about things (giggity)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the chip is down to the primer it looks like....you think i should go with a couple of coats to bring it level with the paint? and also, stupid question but...where on the inside of the door is the color code located? what about the spider cracks on the side of the chip? think it will spread?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
the chip is down to the primer it looks like....you think i should go with a couple of coats to bring it level with the paint? and also, stupid question but...where on the inside of the door is the color code located? what about the spider cracks on the side of the chip? think it will spread?
that's fine going with a few coats as for the spider cracks they may and may not continue if some one hits you car again of course they will even if you touch them up or just seal them... as for the color code i forgot when i went to ford they just asked me for my vin # and that was it

·
Registered
194 Posts
on the sticker in the drivers door jam it is the 2 digit code on the bottom left of the sticker... it will be like T5, L6 ... (Should be right under the letters EXT ... )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts