Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tryin to install some under dash lights and I got the shifter bezel off no problem, unplugged the power, and now I can't figure out how the hell to get the cigarette lighter out to put my switch in. There's 2 little clips that look like they need to be pushed in to let the lighter slip out but they just don't go far enough in to let it out. And I don't want to try to force it through and end up cracking the bezel. Help me out guys, how the **** do I get this thing out?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I got the bastard out. I honestly couldn't find a way besides snapping off the 2 little clips holding it in. Unfortunately my switch it smaller than the hole :(

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'm gonna have to go see what I can find to attach to the switch to make it sit in there nicely. I found out it would fit in the cigarette lighter if I gave it a good shove. I might just go buy another cigarette lighter with the clips, cut out the end (the part that's closed off), put the switch in, and run the wiring back through what's left of the cigarette lighter.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave in an bought a switch from Advance Auto Parts that will fit. I kinda think I should have stuck with my chopping up a cigarette lighter idea.. :p

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will take some pics when I get it finished. I can't get the ****in strips to light up. I've been ****in with it for almost an hour now. Gonna make sure the fuse isn't blown :-/

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Edit: I think there's no power going to the wires that used to power the cigarette lighter. I pm'ed wraith to see what he has to say. Any ideas why I wouldn't be getting power? The fuse is good btw.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
check your PM's if you already havent

·
Registered
812 Posts
where is your ground wire hooked to?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the lights? Or from the wiring from the cigarette lighter? From the cigarette lighter I was simply using the power/ground it already had and attaching them to the switch power/ground prongs. Then attaching the ground from the lights to the ground from the switch and the load to the load prong. When they wouldn't like up I tried simply running the lights directly through the wires (which would mean they would be on all the time when the car is running) but they still didn't light up. I guess I should have tested the cigarette lighter before I even started :p

·
Registered
812 Posts
Oh, if I do recall for my under dash neons I ran the ground onto the frame of the car, grounding has always been my issue. you could tap into your fuse box as well, ive done that countless times on vehicals. Run the power wire off a slot in the fuse box and run the ground to the frame of the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts