Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I used to detail I remember looking for a better clay bar and coming across AutoWax Inc and they hold the patent for any and all clays sold in the United States, which is bull **** if you ask me. According to Adam's the patent is up at the end of this year so we should be seeing much better clays hitting the market.

I never found the patent to read, which I honestly don't think I would ever understand it anyway but it made me wonder.. Some where in there it must describe that it is a clay designed to remove contaminants from automotive painted surfaces.

I was wondering if there was a way for a company to make a "completely" different product for something entirely unrelated to cars and leave it up to the consumer to "figure out" how to use it. Call it a "Painted metal rubbing putty" and state specifically that it isn't designed for cars. Certainly the public could have figured that one out..

More or less just thinking out loud. We need a lawyer here.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Im pretty sure your right, i think theres one company right now that makes automotive clay, or so ive heard, i think each Vendor gets the color they want to associate themselves with. And there are like different grades as well.

Idk, they have some pretty cool alternatives to clay now.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
I had no clue that there was such a clay-debacle. Interesting read.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You got to look at it this way if they came up with the formulas for the plastic waxes they have rights to it. To get around the patent a company would have to have something that performs as well with different ingredients and such. I mean look how many product patents dupont owns. They have the rights to Teflon same thing with 3m just be happy that company provides the products to other vendors and doesnt keep them to therezelves

sent from ponyville

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I saw some type of mitt that is similar to clay bars use and seems to work just as well

sent from ponyville

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
yeah thats it. someone over on the AG did a detail job with it. seemed good you should pick it up and do a review on here.

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
I might pick one up after Decembers over. If it works well I'd worship this thing since I've dropped clay at least 10 times :dunce:.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
idk why but i pissed of that guy didnt go to jail. i understand he had to pay the other company over 4 million dollars but mother ****er was a slimy snake...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts