Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my guy got everything setup, tranny, stall & new pulley and got the cams in and degreed and went to manually turn it over, and said there was the strangest thing. it's not clearing on just one side he said. he talked with the manufacturer beforehand and they said shouldn't be any clearance issues. he said the odd thing was it wasn't clearing on just one side, the other was fine. he thinks it's a defect in the cam. he took it out and redid it twice over and still not clearing. anyone ever heard of this or have any idea what's up? thanks guys, and it's another headache lol

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
if thats what he is talking about, then its ptv issue. were the heads surfaced? valve changed? what cams?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and he said he called before hand to see if they'd work with stock heads, pistons etc and they said they would. the odd thing only one end didn't clear, how's that work? thanks man

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
one side or one end? if its one side (left or right) then that would indicated timing, head surface difference, or valve issue itself generally. if its one side of the head (front or back), then that would indicated head wasnt level when surfaced.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you got me there man, i really was in a hurry. i'll talk with him more, he did say he took them out checked the timing figures twice and tried redoing it 2 more times.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i dont mean to pick and pick and pick, but its stuff that is needed to be known to help get to issue. if i remember right, the cams are still mild for a "stage 2" cam. that is where i am kind of lost. you know which side he is having the trouble on?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah they were almost identical to CMS stage 2 blower cams spec wise, but got them for for a lot lower cost. so it was a lot better financially. these are the specs on them,
Product Line: Trick Flow® Track Max® Hydraulic Roller Camshafts for Ford 4.6/5.4L 2-Valve Camshafts
Part Type: Camshafts
Cam Style: Hydraulic follower
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,800-6,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 234
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 234
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 234 int./234 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 275
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 275
Advertised Duration: 275 int./275 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.580 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.580 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.580 int./0.580 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 114
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Computer-Controlled Compatible: Yes

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
ok, they are more aggressive than i thought. they are getting close to pushing the ptv clearance on a stock long block depending on icl. if everything is timing the way is suppose to, then the cam is right, timing is right, etc. the next step would be to modify stock intake valves or put aftermarket ones in.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's a relief, yeah sent back to trickflow for some new one. i hope it gets resolved so i can get my car back with the new setup. should be a lot quicker than before.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I'd take this set back to rethink your plans.

those cams aren't even close to the CMS ones you quoted & far to big for your intended use with a stock short block/undergeared auto.

bottom line? pick a diffrent cam.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I'd take this set back to rethink your plans.

those cams aren't even close to the CMS ones you quoted & far to big for your intended use with a stock short block/undergeared auto.

bottom line? pick a diffrent cam.
I agree that these cams aren't a very good choice for your goals, but they should definitely clear if they are installed and degreed correctly. What ICL has he got them installed at? Is he using adjustable gears or is he filing the keyways?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'm uncertain on all these things, i'm going to talk to him after school monday. i had work all day thursday-friday so i couldn't talk in depth. i'll most likely hold off on the cams for now then, he was only charging me $568 for install so i was pleased with that. only thing i can think is they primarily do about 50-60% fox bodies and typically don't do 2v cam install's so i'll use all this info you guys are providing when i talk to him.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts