Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lowered the car professionally FRPP springs, koni STRTs, steeda upper strut mounts, BBR lower control arms, relocation brackets and adjustable panhard.

Now i know i heard some clunk here and there when my car drops a lil on the way home, but i got it alligned today and the camber caster can be adjusted from the steeda upper strut mounts and the guys were working on it for a good while trying to get it working (this guy does all alignment for BBR so im sure he is good), but my question is I think i hear more clunk that before. Is this possible after the alignment?

and what could be clunking...
this doesnt happen when you drive the car smoothly....

I know because the car is lowered this will happen that I will hear noise time to time, but what do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Man it looks like you did it all right, you got very good parts on that thing, I don't understand what would be making noise.. I have mine lowered and I don't ever hear a clunk now, I do hear the tire come in contact with bumps on the road more now, but nothing that I would call a clunk.

Just to try and narrow some things down, what area of the car is it coming from? Also, next time your driving, and its clunking, try and ride the brakes alittle, doing this will either tell you its coming from your brakes, or rule them out..

If you can get abit more information Im sure the folks on here can at very least give you some good ideas, alot sharp cookies on here..

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
def sounds like something from the front of the car. Since the steeda's are adjustable via camber, etc, do you think that shifts at all and can cause clunk when they align it?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
One other question, do you have the stock driveshaft, or an aluminum one piece? I know with the Coast drive shafts that you have address a few minor deals with there 4" shaft, other wise you will have clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I think i know what you mean, are you reffering to the possibility of your strut no longer being centered in the pocket, because they are now offset by the adjustment plates to correct your camber?

I think I would pull the front tires off and check afew bolts, grab on to a few things and wiggle everything around, see if you can find anything loose.

Usually when you have clunking in the front it would be a bad strut, but since you just put the Koni's on, I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eleanor08, thanks for your help. After researching the hell out of this, this appears to be a VERY VEEEEEEERY common problem, not just for lowered cars. I even found a 213 page thread on mustangforums specifically for this issue. Alot of the times it is the sway bar endlinks nut/bolt that is loose, and sometimes it is not. I havent had a chance to go down and tighten it, but I will shortly. For the mean time.. here is how the car looks

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
No problem, I hope your able to solve it. And that thing looks just awesome man... I love the way they look when they are lowered.. Very nice ride!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill perform some tests, no worries, but you dont think there is anyway of getting rid of it?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just finished up the BMR Lvl 1 kit with FR500 shocks and struts and strut mounts ... definitely more of what one could call a "clunking" sound in the front. Hard to say what it might be ... in reality it was there with the stock suspension, just not as bad, I know for sure it's not loose suspension hardware. It has to be some combination of how the car naturally transmits the impacts and something loose in the firewall/dash area ... when the suspension is loaded there are no noises, same for unloading ...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well after my last post, I turned the wheels all the way (so i didnt have to take them off at this time) and i just checked the endlink end that is attached to the strut on the drivers side. HOLY COW.. i didnt even get a freaking wrench on it and i grabbed that sucker and was moving it back and forth.. the entire assembly... so THAT definitely needs to be torqued down, but the passenger side was tight by eye balling and feeling inspection. now after driving I can visualize that it is that making the sound.

Tomorrow I will finish the alignment process and then tightened her up later.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem solved. It was the driver side endlink bolt that connects to the strut. Very loose. Tightened it up and no more thunk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts