Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I picked up the mustang today, and overall I am very happy with it. However after some time on the highway, I am hearing a clunking/knocking coming from the middle or rear end, underneath the car, with the clutch engaged whiles slowly going in reverse, or going forward slowly, and ususally whiles turning.

I should mention that the car has some mods, such as aftermarket exhaust, eibach prokit and I believe a FRPP stage 2 clutch. The car in question is a 2000 GT 5-speed which hasn't been driven for the last 4 years, and only has 70k KM (43k Miles).

I also noticed something (that may be unrelated) - basically when in neutral at a stop, or even at a slight incline, the car doesn't roll backwards. It's as if there is some sort of additional friction (stuck caliper maybe?) that is holding the car from rolling freely. In every other manual car I have driven, they have rolled with gravity from a stop, when in neutral with no brake engaged. Do these 99-04 GT's ususally roll freely, or does it take a lot to get them rolling?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It won't roll freely if the E-brake is slightly stuck, the tires don't have enough air, etc...

Check for loose clamps or exhaust flanges. Anything hanging from the car that might be hitting something and causing the noise. Check the rear for bad brake components. Not driven for 4 years? I hope you did a fresh oil change and fluids update.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
My car does the same man, just come to a complete stop before throwing it up in 1st or retreat

·
Registered
697 Posts
Also check the driveshaft bolts at the pinion and U-joints.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts