Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a clunking sound when I turn/jerk wheel left at low speeds. Doesn't matter if the clutch is in or not. Inner and Outer tie rods were replaced with Moog ones a few years ago and have maybe 30k on them or less.

I replaced the ball joints today hoping it would fix it since they were still original and the bushings on top of the joints were dry rotted and almost completely gone. The noise is still there and I'm not sure what to do. Could it be the control arm or steering rack bushings making that clunk noise? Car has about 130K on it now.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Ill take a crack at it since no one else has lol. Have you checked the strut mounts and steering shaft? One thing I used to do a lot to find steering problems on my 98 vic was to set my phone to record under the car while I moved the wheel back and forth fast and slow. It worked pretty well. Sounds obvious but it helped me diagnose a lot of the front suspension on that car.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill take a crack at it since no one else has lol. Have you checked the strut mounts and steering shaft? One thing I used to do a lot to find steering problems on my 98 vic was to set my phone to record under the car while I moved the wheel back and forth fast and slow. It worked pretty well. Sounds obvious but it helped me diagnose a lot of the front suspension on that car.

I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make the noise unless their is some forward motion to the car. I noticed my steering rack bushings are doing the same as this video.

I went ahead and bought some moog poly bushings on amazon. They were only 13 bucks and probably need replaced anyway. I'm gonna swap them out and see if there is any change.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make the noise unless their is some forward motion to the car. I noticed my steering rack bushings are doing the same as this video.

I went ahead and bought some moog poly bushings on amazon. They were only 13 bucks and probably need replaced anyway. I'm gonna swap them out and see if there is any change.
Hmm thats a little odd. Have you jacked up the front end and played with the tires for any looseness?

My 02 gt also had that that problem in the video so I replaced the front bushings with poly bushings. Youll need a slide hammer to pull the bolt sleeves out, which I didnt have so I couldnt get the rears out so I said screw it lol. Anyway, it tightened up the steering a lot but now they squeak when turning the wheel which is pretty common. Lube them up a lot when you swap them.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the one steering shaft bushing was definitely bad on the drivers side and was coming apart somewhat. It didnt fix my problem though....

I was able to get the rear bushings and the sleeves out. Had to put a pry bar behind
The sleeve and lock onto the front of it with vice grips and pull/twist to get it out. Took some time but it worked.

I checked out the control arm bushings and while they look a little dry rotted, they dont look bad enough to be making the clunk noise.

Tony03GT - Could the spindle nut have just came loose though? Ive had the car a long time and i dont think its ever been off either side of the car.

·
Pimp
664 Posts
Well the one steering shaft bushing was definitely bad on the drivers side and was coming apart somewhat. It didnt fix my problem though....

I was able to get the rear bushings and the sleeves out. Had to put a pry bar behind
The sleeve and lock onto the front of it with vice grips and pull/twist to get it out. Took some time but it worked.

I checked out the control arm bushings and while they look a little dry rotted, they dont look bad enough to be making the clunk noise.

Tony03GT - Could the spindle nut have just came loose though? Ive had the car a long time and i dont think its ever been off either side of the car.
It's the nut for the ball joint to the a arm, I've had mine come loose and do that exact noise. Keeper pin keeps it from backing off completely but will definitely cause clunking. Mines currently doing it again, roads here are freaking awful.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the nut for the ball joint to the a arm, I've had mine come loose and do that exact noise. Keeper pin keeps it from backing off completely but will definitely cause clunking. Mines currently doing it again, roads here are freaking awful.
I just replaced the balljoints...The nuts on both sides are both tight. The noise was there before I replaced them and its still there now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You sure its not the back axle? You will get a on an off clunking sound especially clutch in and rolling 5mph or so like flipping a u turn at the gas station to reach the pumps. I've seen that alot especially if you dont use friction modifier.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sure its not the back axle? You will get a on an off clunking sound especially clutch in and rolling 5mph or so like flipping a u turn at the gas station to reach the pumps. I've seen that alot especially if you dont use friction modifier.
No, its definitely coming from the front left, and only when the wheel is turned towards the left or if I'm driving slowly and jerk the wheel to the left quick. Can't replicate it in the garage when the car isn't moving and everything seems fine visually.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
check the wheel bearing. . grab the tire and shake it left and right and then up and down. could be a bearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts