Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Mustang GT. It started to get pretty difficult to put the car into gear and shift through the gears. Then, tonight on the way home from work I noticed that I had the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and the car was in first gear, but the car was still rolling forward, slowly. It seems like the clutch is not fully engaging even though the pedal is being pressed fully to the floor. Do the new Mustangs, 05-09, have an adjustment cable that will cure the issue that I have or is it a slave cylinder or a synchro going bad? I really need to get this fixed fast, I have to get underway again soon and I would like it to be taken care of before I go so that it is all good to go when I get home!Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
I have a 2007 Mustang GT. It started to get pretty difficult to put the car into gear and shift through the gears. Then, tonight on the way home from work I noticed that I had the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and the car was in first gear, but the car was still rolling forward, slowly. It seems like the clutch is not fully engaging even though the pedal is being pressed fully to the floor. Do the new Mustangs, 05-09, have an adjustment cable that will cure the issue that I have or is it a slave cylinder or a synchro going bad? I really need to get this fixed fast, I have to get underway again soon and I would like it to be taken care of before I go so that it is all good to go when I get home!Any help is greatly appreciated!
All S197's are now a hydraulic clutch setup. It sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. This isn't something that you can just 'adjust' like a cable system. Did you or any previous owner have a aftermarket clutch assembly installed? Or even aftermarket adjustable TOB? It may just need to be re-shimed if this is the case. Otherwise, its most likely going to be a bad TOB (Throw out bearing). The clutch shares the brake fluid with the brake master cylinder. Odds are, if your brakes aren't also acting funny, its going to be a TOB issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a stock clutch in it. I'm really good friends with the previous owner and he sold me the car with mods, but the tranny and clutch were both unmolested. It is still under waranty though, now I just have to call and see if the TOB is covered or if I can get time to get it in. I can do it myself, but just don't have the time right now. Thanks Towelly, your 06 looks really sweet! I will try to get pics of mine in here as soon as I get some time to get them in... But you could check out a quick peek on the homepage of fasttoys.net They are using my car to show off the hood that I have and that they started selling. Once again, thanks for the help!!

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
It has a stock clutch in it. I'm really good friends with the previous owner and he sold me the car with mods, but the tranny and clutch were both unmolested. It is still under waranty though, now I just have to call and see if the TOB is covered or if I can get time to get it in. I can do it myself, but just don't have the time right now. Thanks Towelly, your 06 looks really sweet! I will try to get pics of mine in here as soon as I get some time to get them in... But you could check out a quick peek on the homepage of fasttoys.net They are using my car to show off the hood that I have and that they started selling. Once again, thanks for the help!!
It's highly unlikely that warranty will pick up a claim on anything to do with the clutch since it's a wear item. It's possible that the dealer will be able to slide it through but not likely. I agree with Towelly though it sounds like either a bad TOB or possibly a pressure plate. What kind of power mods are done to the car? Done any racing, burnouts, donuts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently upgraded my clutch to a SPEC stg 1 and I have about 800 miles on the clutch, but the point that it engages at is almost all the way out. If I get on it, you can feel it slip in the high power band. Is there a way to adjust this so the engagement point is mid stroke? Or any how to on hoe to shim it would be great as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Sounds like the throwout bearing's slave cylinder is drawing in air. Time for a new one.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
I recently upgraded my clutch to a SPEC stg 1 and I have about 800 miles on the clutch, but the point that it engages at is almost all the way out. If I get on it, you can feel it slip in the high power band. Is there a way to adjust this so the engagement point is mid stroke? Or any how to on hoe to shim it would be great as well.

Thanks
BINGO!!

Finally someone with my issue as well. I installed a spec 3+ and mine does the same thing, disengauges right at pedal top. Noone can tell me why...not even Spec.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BINGO!!

Finally someone with my issue as well. I installed a spec 3+ and mine does the same thing, disengauges right at pedal top. Noone can tell me why...not even Spec.
Call: Jeremy @ 1-800-825-4379 ext# 109
I was told they are not having this problem with anybody else.
Call him and let him know.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If you guys are feeling the clutch slip at higher rpm's and it engages way up high that sounds like the throwout bearing is riding the pressure plate diaphram. In other words, the TB is too close to it and there's no free play at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts