Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have something that's be bothering me.. and want to make sure it's right... I had to install a new clutch (TOB went right through pressure plate, the fingers broke), tob, press plate, flywheel, ect...the new aftermarket quadrant and cable with the firewall adjuster (steeda I believe) on my daughters 2002 v6 ( I know not a 5.0, but I'm going to have the same ? / problems when I put my fox back together this spring with all new stuff....

Now my ? is, what is the correct way for this to be adjusted???? From what I gather the TOB should not be touching the pressplate fingers when pedal is released?(since this will wear out the TOB) but the issues is the pedal rattles since there is no tension on the cable... I turn the adjuster when I installed it and adjusted it later when it got some miles on it...I never got all the rattle out, but didn't want to tight to much... I'm not sure if the TOB is touching (I might of had it at one point) but now the pedal's rattling more again (figure cable stretched) but i'm afraid of just turning the firewall adjuster out, since for me to stop the pedal from rattling and put tension on it, the adjuster would have to be turned out until the TOB is touching.... Personally I think there should of been a spring to keep tension on the cable (maybe I guess the stock quadrant keep tension on it???)

So, what is everyone doing that has these aftermarket non-auto adjusting quadrants?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would try to keep the TOB from riding constantly as it might cause issue later on. If your using a fire wall adjuster i would take it back and purchase a cable that comes with an adjuster and tapered end ford racing has one. I have a 1985 fox and this worked out great for me I love the new cable and it never caused any issue with quadrant

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,951 Posts
I used to charge people to fix this issue on sn cars but figure i will share this with you. Go to napa and get a pack of clutch return springs. They will have a hook bend on one end and straight on the other. Adjust the clutch to have free play in the bearing, some call it air gap, and the hook the spring into one of the holes in the side of the trans case and stick the straight end theu the fork and then bend it back until there is slight tension on the fork. That will keep it from vibrating and keep it from resting on the clutch fingers. Old school solution for a bew school problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts