Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay my transmission is installed and everything seems to be running as it should. I have encountered a few problems though! The clutch is very stiff and it doesn't engage like it used to. It used to grab a little half way down, but now I have to use so much force to put it to the ground, if I lifted it literally 1/2 an inch while in gear, i would stall.
And my MGW is very notchy and I have to basically shove it into gear. Its like a workout trying to drive my car!
2 questions:
How do I loosen the clutch and readjust it?
and how do I adjust my MGW throws?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
el bumpo

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i hope you dont run into the same problem I did! we put in a new trans, new clutch & new shifter at the same time and took it took the track 3 days later....

my buddy and i both knew the clutch felt too tight but just figured it would work out... WRONG! the clutch fork had slidden off of the pivot ball and was not aligned properly. After ripping on it at the track and then driving around like that It caused the new throw-out bearing to separate while cruising down the road about 2 weeks later and also ****ed up the new trans. So I'm now having to get it rebuilt after only having it 2 months

something to double check

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Yeah there is no ripping here after reading that lol.

What do you guys think of the clutch alignment tool? Ive sen em for like 100 bucks on AM.com. Will that help?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
^^that was for the install it aligns the clutch disk inside the pressrue plate..

answers...
what clutch? do you have a fire wall adjuster?, stock quadrant?
the mgw will loosen up, they are always that tight, and makes sure you did the shift stops right

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stock clutch. and i think i have a firewall adjuster lol

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Did you put the clutch disc in with the right side facing the right way?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
to adjust the stock setup, you put your foot under the gas pedal and pull it toward you...it will click, do this until it doesnt click...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:) ill try it and keep you updated. thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Speaking of heavy clutches, I have driving my friend camero, an A4 and some beatup trucks, and I have to say my clutch is a beast compared to theres. Is this normal?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Speaking of heavy clutches, I have driving my friend camero, an A4 and some beatup trucks, and I have to say my clutch is a beast compared to theres. Is this normal?

:yes Most of them are hydraulic clutches, the mustangs are cable.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:mad: my clutch makes a loud popping noise when it gets close to the floor. When I try to lift back up it just stays there. I was stuck in the middle of the road for a minute but I was able to turn the car off, put it into 1st gear, push the clutch down(and have it+ pop) and it starting going like an automatic as i turned the car on. Almost like a push start, but its the only way it would move. Good thing this was only a few blocks from campus. Then my battery light came on and i lost my power steering and brakes. Popped the hood, my belt is completely torn. Ah! So im parked in the parking lot at campus and I have class from 6-8:45!!!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
same exact thing happend when my TOB came apart... except i wasnt close to anywhere and had to get towed!! not looking good for you...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh boy. yeah its not being driven since. Do I have to take the tranny out again to fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
if that is the case, yes

if you have anyway possible to get the front end off of the ground enough for you to get under it, remove the cover on the side of the trans that covers the clutch fork and take a flash light and look up in there to see if the TOB is still intact and see if the clutch fork is off of the pivot ball

the last time i cranked mine after that happend, it sounded like something exploded in the trans and it was the TOB exploding

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:eek: no exploding here. Well it is parked at a friends house right down the road from campus and it is getting worked on tomorrow. thanks for the info you saved me a lot of grief..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts