Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fiore fire wall adjuster and upr clutch quadrant. i just replace my clutch and now my freakin cable is breaking..again. ive already changed it twice with oem cables and still...i lined up the quadrant perfectly and idk what could be wrong. should i get a different quadrant? please help

·
Registered
998 Posts
sounds like you need an adjustable unit. They have a little bigger cable. Make sure that you don't have the cable in a bind.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the cable not be ran from the tranny to the firewall correctly? I've spent 150 bucks on cables in like 4 months and sick of this Problem

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Where is the cable breaking, at the quadrant or throw out lever?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the quadrant

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Sounds like the cable is not fitting within the quadrant, or once strain is applied to the cable. The quadrant and cable may not align and creating friction on the cable as it attempts to lay in the groove.

Get in there and have your buddy push the clutch and see what it is doing. Just make sure your gal doesn't go walking up at that particular moment and see your head burried down there :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
At the quadrant
Use a mill file to radius the top edges of the cable groove in the quadrant, 1/16" or so. Years of experience made me just do this automatically when I installed my UPR quadrant--that was 4 years ago with the the original cable, it's still looking fine 70k miles later.

Also make sure the quadrant is aligned with the adjuster--you said you did this above, but double check it and get the spacers right. Stick a piece of coat hanger or stiff wire through the front of the adjuster and have it lay in the groove of the quadrant; make sure it come straight out of the firewall.

In the last apply some heavy grease to the cable and quadrant groove--doesn't have to be "slathered" but a goodly amount will help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright. i ordered a new cable. ill try the things that you all have suggested and thanks for the help. hopefully this is the last cable i have to buy!

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
i had the same thing happen like 5 times, finaly pulled the tranny and redid all that stuff. never happened again til i sold it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts