Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this fox body a couple weeks ago. So on the second day driving it the clutch cable gave out, fraying at the firewall.

I put a new BBK cable in and the car already had a billet quadrant so I kept with that. When installing, I found I needed to tighten down the cable more than I expected to be able to fully disengage. The next day the cable seemed to have stretched, so I retightened and made sure that jam nut was snug.

After driving today, the cable seems to have stretched again! The clutch is engaging lower and gears are getting difficult to select, especially reverse. What could be wrong?

I suspect this car has had this problem a while, because the broken cable looked pretty new.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That really strange. When the cable 1st broke and frayed where did it happen at? by the firewall or by the trans?

Do you have a firewall adjuster? And you have the cable bolted to the drivers side inner fender as well correct ( So that its not freely moving around in the engine bay )?

And is it fraying some or just stretching? Also from what i hear the best Cables to buy are actually the Ford OEM - Stock ones over the BBK or " performance " ones.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It frayed at the firewall. You could tell because it was creaking every time you pressed the pedal, then it finally snapped a strand or two, prompting me to replace it.

No firewall adjuster. I didn't see the need for two adjustment points. Yes, it is bolted to the firewall. As far as I can tell, it's not fraying. I don't have the creaking I heard with the old cable.

I think I need to drive it some more to make a better conclusion. After posting this, I hopped in the car and the clutch was back to normal. But, it does seem that the engagement point varies depending on driving style and drive time. I was spoiled by my old car with a hydraulic clutch. :)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
i streched my stock cable put on the adjustable and i've had to re tighten my clutch cable about 4 or 5 times...

·
Registered
63 Posts
just put a firewall adjuster on. it doesnt hurt to have 2 adjusting point so later on down the road when the cable does have play from driving a while youll have that much more room to tighten plus where the cable goes into the car it goes into the firewall adjuster instead of the bare metal of the firewall

·
Registered
122 Posts
I reacently had a cable problem with creaking and found it to be the quadrant. Who ever put it in didnt use any shims and it was moving around. If you have the shims in place maybe it is out of line, which will also cause fraying because the cable is not lining up with the groove in the quadrant. I had alot tof the same problems you described.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reacently had a cable problem with creaking and found it to be the quadrant. Who ever put it in didnt use any shims and it was moving around. If you have the shims in place maybe it is out of line, which will also cause fraying because the cable is not lining up with the groove in the quadrant. I had alot tof the same problems you described.
Good point. You know, I didn't see any shims on there and it does creak once in a while. Where can these be found?

·
Registered
189 Posts
make sure your firewall isnt cracked. also make sure the bolt the holds the clutch pedal to the rod hasnt come loose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts