Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

For a few weeks now, my clutch chatters whenever it is engaged. (pedal up)

I only hear it when I'm not moving, (neutral) mainly because I cant listen over the wheels hum while I'm going at any speed.

Any ideas?

P.S. Replaced clutch with the bearing kit in 2007ish. Clutch was brutalized when i was learning manual last August.

Thanks.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
More than likely the throwout bearing (TOB) is going bad. Just replace the entire clutch (aftermarket or OEM) and have the flywheel resurfaced. Just make sure you get a Ford OEM TOB because aftermarket ones are known to go bad really, really fast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks.

I think I remember TOB being mentioned before. But anyway, do you have recommendations in an supermarket clutch if you were to prefer one?

As far as resurfacing the flywheel, would I take that to a Ford dealer?

Sorry for my inexperience, but eventually I won't have to ask these silly questions. :)

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I ended up replacing my clutch with a Ford OEM clutch. I believe Mr Red Pony has a RAM clutch and likes it (I had trouble with the guide pin holes not lining up like they were supposed to). Any big name clutch kit should work just fine (just keep in mind the power that you plan on making and find a clutch that will handle it) but don't use their TOB or you'll be pulling the transmission again shortly to replace it. As far as the flywheel resurfacing, any transmission shop should be able to do it for you. It's usually like a $50 job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts