Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a clutch for my car and thought I had my mind set on the EXEDY Stage 2 clutch. I was reading the info about the clutch on the exedy website and for both the stage 1 and 2 clutch it says with a 11” flywheel. I looked around on this forum and others as well and see a lot of guys using the EXEDY Stage 1 and 2, and they are only getting the clutch. So my question is do I need to get an 11” flywheel for these clutches, because from what I’ve found my car has a 10.5” flywheel. Is this correct, or am I wrong? My car is a 99 gt.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Your car has the 10.5" clutch and flywheel. I believe the limiting factor in the clutch diameter is weather it will fit in your bellhousing. I recommend going with a quality 10.5" clutch kit specifically for your car like a McLeod Pro Street.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Also they make a Exedy stage 2 clutch kit in 10.5" for your car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at the McLeod Street Pro and under the notes it said that clutch is intended for an aftermarket transmission or aftermarket input shaft. Is that just a recommendation or is that something that is needed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Where are you looking at the McLeod?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Windsors are typically truck motors. Romeos are typically car motors. The '99 and '00 Windsor cast crankshafts have 8-bolt flywheels with a 10.5" clutch. The '02-'04 Romeo cast crankshafts have 6-bolt flywheels with an 11" clutch. The '01s are a mixed bag of Windsors and Romeos. The forged crankshafts in the 03-04 Cobras and Mach 1s with manual transmission have 8-bolt flywheels. (Mach 1s with automatic transmissions have cast cranks.) The best option is to just buy a clutch that fits.

I originally wanted a King Cobra clutch but all the 10.5" one were sold out when I upgraded so I went with a Centerforce DF. It didn't last very long. I have now replaced it with a 10.5" King Cobra. In retrospect I guess I should have waited.

Here is a vendor that sells your clutch:
https://lmr.com/item/EXD-07801/Exedy-Mustang-Mach-400-Stage-1-Clutch-Kit-26-Tooth-86-00

I'm not sure but from the advertising it appears the Stage 2 is for a 10-spline transmission input shaft. Unless you have rebuilt your transmission and changed the input shaft you need the 26-spline clutch.
https://lmr.com/item/EXD-07950/Exedy-Stage-2-105-Clutch-Kit-10-Tooth-Mustang-86-00

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chriszz11, I am looking on the Mcleod website. I am not really set on any particular clutch. I just know I want to stay away from centerforce, spec and ram, just haven’t heard any real good reviews on them.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The t45 In 1999 gt's had 10 spline input shafts. I have a 1999 cobra with the same transmission, 10 spline input shaft. Look at the American muscle website.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked on American muscle and found what I was looking for. I was on the Mcleod website and for whatever reason couldn’t find anything for my car with a stock transmission. I looked on the AM website and found either a Mcleod super street pro, or the street pro. What would you guys recommend for a car with mild bolt ons, cams and 4:10 gears. I’ve seen numerous recommendations on both stages and still am not sure what would be best.

·
Registered
449 Posts
For a gt I would say super street pro just to be on the safe side it should grab like the street pro but hooks more power and thus more launches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s what I was leaning towards. I’ll prob end up getting that along with the FRPP Throw out beating, pilot bearing and maybe mm clutch cable and clutch quadrant.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That sounds like a great setup man. I'm fact I'm pretty sure that's what I'm gong with when I put my car back together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank’s a lot, I can’t wait to get all the parts and get my car running again. I need to get it ready for the end of May for the cruisin Ocean City weekend. Also thanks for all the advice, it really helped!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
No problem man! Let me know how it all works out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts