Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright ive read through 15 pages of search results and I still seem to have a question. I'm going to have a new clutch and associated hardware installed next week and a guy is going to replace the syncro going into 3rd and "the bearings" (dont know what is meant by that).. and i know you're supposed to at least have the flywheel resurfaced but I figured why not throw a better quality piece into the mix if I can afford it.. well with an alum. flywheel, will i run the chance of burning up the clutch quicker? it will be and is my daily driver and i figured itd be a good way to free up some ponies. Critique and give opinions on my idea. I'm currently thinking about going with Spec Stage 2 clutch and Fidanza Alum. Flywheel.

P.S. just thinking now.. would it be cost efficient to go ahead and install a short throw at this time if i can afford it? or is it no big deal to be installed later on? Thanks guys.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
no difference in clutch wear. a short throw is a great mod for different reasons. shifting is a lot better and it will save transmissions too.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, so basically with the lightweight flywheel.. it's just like driving another vehicle compared to your car before and getting used to it and finding it's sweet spots? almost everything i've read so far about lightweight flywheels is fairly confusing and contradicting.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
rotating mass is lost which makes increased power. the friction surface will clamp the same as a stock flywheel after recommended break in is acheived. you will free the power from losing the weight, and for the most part have no side effects. the only one side effect that i know of. during shifting, you will losse the inertia of the heavier flywheel. for drag racing the pros and cons equal out, lighter will be better with the more power you have to sufice from loosing the inertia. in road racing type applications where power shifting isnt in such demand and getting thru rpm's is what matters, the lighter flwheels will be in favor. i had a little chat with promotion when they built my trans and i was thinking about getting one for my car.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, cool. thanks for the input man.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
sorry to intrude on your thread but i like the feel of my cluch and would like to know what kind i have is there a way to figure out what kind of cluch i have.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
rotating mass is lost which makes increased power. the friction surface will clamp the same as a stock flywheel after recommended break in is acheived. you will free the power from losing the weight, and for the most part have no side effects. the only one side effect that i know of. during shifting, you will losse the inertia of the heavier flywheel. for drag racing the pros and cons equal out, lighter will be better with the more power you have to sufice from loosing the inertia. in road racing type applications where power shifting isnt in such demand and getting thru rpm's is what matters, the lighter flwheels will be in favor. i had a little chat with promotion when they built my trans and i was thinking about getting one for my car.
But if you're power shifting, losing rpms isn't an issue. Or am I wrong...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that would seem to be correct cuz you never come off the gas.. i figure that ill go ahead and get one since it won't decrease clutch life and since it will clamp the same as stock after an appropriate break in period

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
that would seem to be correct cuz you never come off the gas.. i figure that ill go ahead and get one since it won't decrease clutch life and since it will clamp the same as stock after an appropriate break in period
That's what I thought, so why would hurt your perfromance in a drag?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i believe it's because you have to rev the engine higher to get a better launch.. thats why i asked these questions in this thread ive read so many things its hard to understand everything about alum. flywheels

1 - 13 of 13 Posts