Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1993 Mustang GT 5.0 I've been having issues with my car since I bought it in November but it has steadily gotten worse.. I thought it was the clutch slipping since the motor revs up the car moves forward good but not hard bit before you say its the clutch. Read the hole thing.. the RPM don't spike up like when u bump the clutch pedel in... if you revs it up and dump the clutch it will spin the tires. But if you hold you foot to the floor about 2500 rpm the motor sounds different... if you only use 3/4 throttle the car pulls hard as hell the moment you go full throttle the sound of the motor changes and it seems to surge.. I thought Mabel the fuel filter was. Dirty so I change it and the fuel I poured out looked really dirty but it doesn't run any better just worse... but I've never had it die on me or stall? Any help or ideas would be awesome thanks..... if its the fuel pump what is the best brand out there and should I get a new regulator?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If you think it is the fuel pump I would stick a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what the fuel pressure does when you floor it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
have you check your tps,ignition timing and with the car off pull the intake pipe off and have a friend put the gas pedal to the floor to check wide open throttle usually if a fuel pump is bad its bad it wont run

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were can you install the pressure gauge on the fuel system? What is the TPS? And I tryied to advance the timing didn't work so I put the timing back were it was before... the car will run just not at full throttle... the throttle body works fine..

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
there's a service port on the pas side of the motor.. look for the injectors and you'll see chrome fuel lines run down from under the upper intake manifold.. you'll see the service port it looks like a air valve from a car or bike tire.

go to autozone or advanced auto and rent a fuel pressure gauge, slap that bitch on and run it up to your windshield and tap it on so you can see it from inside the car. Drive the car and watch your fuel pressure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome thanks for the advice... ill do that this evening after work.... what should the pressure be at idle and full throttle?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
With the vacuum line on the regulator you should be at about 32 at idle IIRC. If you pull the vac line off it should go up to 39 give or take a little. The fp should increase under acceleration.

·
Registered
627 Posts
ive read about this problem before, and in their case it was the tps(throttle position sensor). its located on top of the throttle body. its a black think with 3 wires coming out of it

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm ruling out the fuel pump I'm getting 39 psi when you turn the key on and 30psi at Idle and 35 around 4,500 rpm... so I don't believe its a fuel issue... We started advancing the time on the motor and it runs alot better but still can't shift through all gears with out some surging or motor sound changes... could an injector be going it or bad plug? Is there a way to check the TPS (throttle position sensor) ????

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could it be a vacuum leak?????

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stupid question I unplugged my mass air sensor and it runs like a screaming demon but the check engine light came on.. any thoughts?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I figured out the problem I was having it was my Mass Air Flow Sensor it was dirty and must have been plugged up some how.... the cars like a Screaming Demon now!

I went ahead and did a junk yard mod I Installed a electric fan for $65

1 - 16 of 16 Posts