Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving around just a little while ago, my clutch pedal got stiff suddenly. Close to twice as stiff as normal. Immediately pulled over to take a quick look. Nothing looked wrong so I limped it home. What is going on and what do I need to replace or check?
I do not know what kind of clutch it is, I have an aftermarket quadrant and a firewall adjuster.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Dude im having the SAME EXACT problem tonight. I had to have my car towed 30 miles home. I feel ya bro.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Besides cable, what else should I check? Please help.
this is my first manual car

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the dust cover off right now and I can move the fork back and forth a little. Clutch looks to be stock as far as I can tell.(no colored area)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
You will be able to move the fork a bit, but it sounds to me like you have a fray in the clutch cable inside the sheath. Check and make sure the quadrant isn't rubbing anything under the dash, and that the cable is properly seated in the quadrant.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quadrant isn't rubbing and the cable is in properly. No visible frays top or bottom.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Unfortunately, the frays would be inside the sheathing, where you can't see it. Unhook the cable from the fork and the quadrant and see how hard it is to slide in and out. If it moves easily by hand, then the problem is elsewhere. But it would be an easy way to rule out the cable quickly.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cable is out, and its not the problem, moves fairly easy. What next?

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found the problem, and fixed it. The clutch fork was out of wack some. Not sure how it happened but it is fixed now, just had to shove it back in. And then I lubed up the cable.
I have a feeling that I have not seen the last of this problem.
Thanks for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts