Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
your clutch is bad enough that you can't drive it?!?!? sure you didn't get an input shaft?
Oh well don't feel too bad, I saw a poor boy with an LT1 that had a nasty little nitrous backfire tonight at our track, and thats all he had to drive.

Me personally? Put an automatic in it. Much easier. More consistant. That equals faster!!!!

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was clutch, car ran, just wouldn't shift. I had to turn the car off to switch gears. Tried to go home driving in third but when I did that the clutch smoked really bad and stopped working all together. Waited a few minutes, started the car back up in reverse and I could slowly drive it back into the gates at the track.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I think that is what Rich runs and has pretty good luck with it............If you plan on anything SERIOUS in the future, just put a really strong clutch in it for now. You would probobly hate it though, for a long time. I guess it just depends on your future plans. Are you just gonna stay the way you are?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I was thinking about a stage one spec clutch. They say they are good to 510 tq. That should be good for a long time for me.
I had a spec stage 1 and couldn't shift at high RPM's. Rich might be the only one to have any luck with it. 3+ might be too grabby for your power level. If I were you, at your power level I might go with stock again. The stock clutches are very good.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would go with a centerforce but thats just me...

My friend had a spec stage 2 plus and it broke 3 clutch cables (thats how stuff it was) now his centerforce is lighter than my stock s197 clutch (he has an 01 gt) and it holds his 500+ hp to the wheels. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If you are going to stay at or under 400 rwhp I highly suggest a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch package. You can't beat it for the money and it engages very smoothly. I had one before the Whipple and switched to the DFX after that.

Get your flywheel resurfaced then sandblasted for quick break in time. Also get the pressure plate disc surface sandblasted too. You can also glassbead them instead of sandblasting. This will cut the break in time from 500 miles to about 150 or so. Also get a new release bearing/slave and pilot bearing. I suggest the Mcleod adjustable unit. Pricey, but it increases bearing movement from .500'' to .700'' when adjusted properly. Shifts are much better with the extra movement/disengagement.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you are going to stay at or under 400 rwhp I highly suggest a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch package. You can't beat it for the money and it engages very smoothly. I had one before the Whipple and switched to the DFX after that.

Get your flywheel resurfaced then sandblasted for quick break in time. Also get the pressure plate disc surface sandblasted too. You can also glassbead them instead of sandblasting. This will cut the break in time from 500 miles to about 150 or so. Also get a new release bearing/slave and pilot bearing. I suggest the Mcleod adjustable unit. Pricey, but it increases bearing movement from .500'' to .700'' when adjusted properly. Shifts are much better with the extra movement/disengagement.
I had the same issue with the Centerforce DF in my 6060 that I had with the Spec 1 in my 3650, couldn't shift on the track. It seems some people have had good luck with them and other haven't, kind of a crap shoot.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
When my time comes im going to look at the roush p51 clutch, ive heard it feels like stock but can handle ~500whp

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
RoushStage2 has had good luck with his P-51 clutch, and I have heard pretty good things on the Spec Stage 2+, the general consensus is that the Spec Stage 1 sucks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
RoushStage2 has had good luck with his P-51 clutch, and I have heard pretty good things on the Spec Stage 2+, the general consensus is that the Spec Stage 1 sucks.
I will second the motion of the P51 clutch. It is made by Exedy and is an excellent piece of work. It feels like stock with the pedal a little lower to the floor, but it holds well. I make about 530 rwhp and 490rwtq if this gives you an idea of how good it is. There is no vibration or noise of any kind.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Could a clutch be the reason for my bad times recently or would it have nothing to do with it.

YES!

Would explain ALOT.

Make sure to get a clutch that will let go; myself, and too many others have gottentoo much, and it will not release... making speedshifting a nightmare.

Any stage I will do...

·
August 08 ROTM
865 Posts
Juco, I am sure your clutch will look alot like mine...I got the Spec 2+ and haven't had any problems like others have said.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
When it is time, I am going with the Roush P-51 clutch.

It may be time sooner rather than later. :eek:

:D

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Could I just get the p-51 clutch and get the flywheel resurficed? I noticed all of the places selling the clutch only sell the clutch and the adapter. No pressure plate or slave barring

1 - 20 of 30 Posts