Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I feel so IDIOT!! That explains everything how my clutch got f'd first place. It NEVER disengaged completely. Sorry for the tone. Just I'm feeling idiot because I used to have canaro with 5 speeds I should knew the clutch was feeling soft. I got firewall installed now, the stock quadrant still great shape doesn't slip out of teeth. I can tell the pressure plate is disengaging now but it won't get out of gear when my car is sitting nose down so I knew its still engaged. The tranny is kinda hard to shift in but not that hard as it don't grind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What I noticed on mine is even if you feel slack on the cable at the fork. It can still be pulling the clutch. My pedal has to almost be to the floor for me to shift without grinding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Off topic - if its a daily 4.10s might not be so great. I have 3.55s and I would rather have 3.27s to be honest with you. I go through the gears pretty fast getting up to speed from a stop light. 1st is almost worthless, but I don't want to start from 2nd. I know people that do though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can snap a picture of where my cable adjuster nut is at on the fork if it helps? I had to play with it for a while to get it right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope its all tighten all the way it might isn't fully engaged, but I wont roll down if 1st gear is in with engine off is good cuz I knows clutch is good even tho when I disengaging it's still engaged!? Or am I suppose have it running, battery is dead for the moment. It does have 1/2 to inch of play before its disengaging but not fully. If I adjust the quadrant more then I won't able to touch floor will stuck half way like there's no play. I'm so stumped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm doing most of 1 hr n half of highway to sac from bay area, 15 min hwy driving to oakland speedway, and anywhere else so of course I'm going to 3.55 from 3.27 or I might keep it that way and gain more rwhp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should be able to change gears without the car running.

Maybe the cable is bad. It might be a transmission issue too if the shift fork pads are going bad.

From my understanding the cables are supposed to auto-adjust over time. I know if you reach down and grab the clutch pedal with your hand and pull it up till it stops. Thats the way to help it auto-adjust.

Did it shift and engage okay before when you drove the car? If it did, what was added since then?

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Could be a stretched cable. But I would put a quadrant in it, and use the cable you have. It changes the pivot point. If that doesnt work, go get a new cable from autozone.

I had the same issue about two weeks ago. I put a firewall adjuster and quadrant in it with a new cable from autozone. It works flawlessly now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nvm everybody its FIXED. I'M double idiotic! I didn't pay attention to the pressure plate teeths wasn't to high enough as the another one I had. I'm so stupid for not go ahead swap both clutch and pressure plate at same time. Tested it up on stands it will spin when i disengaged and stop as I engaged it. That's good news. Then put it back down on ground put it in gear 1 engaged didn't go anywhere until I disengage it half inch, it spin down hill like butter. Haven't drove yet cuz battery is dead. It mite cant hold the load anymore or something is shorting battery out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts