Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry im going thread crazy but rather then have one big one i figured I could do a couple and have them be answered quickly.

The rear end I just got the clutch packs are smoked and I have a rebuild kit laying around I bought but ever used. Does anyone know of a write up to do this? I checked in the stickies found nothing and no one had one in the threads i found searching.

also how hard is it to change a front seal in the rear end?

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Subscribed. I would love to see a write up on this.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
ok start out with jacking up your car and putting it on jack stands. remove rear breaks and brackets. hang the caliper up so it does not damage the brake line.

remove diff cover.
on the side of the diff you will see a small bolt sticking out its a 8mm, remove it.
rotate the diff over so the pin is facing you and the bolt side is inside the carrier.
push the pin in a little then rotate the diff so the side the pin is sticking out is facing you
pull pin out if it is stick use a bent coat hanger in the hole the bolt went threw to help you pull it out.
push axles in and remove "C" clips with magnet, remove axles
remove the four bolts that hold the diff in place. lable the bolts and the mains so they go in exaclty how they came out.
there are shims on the sides of the bearing races that need to be installed the same as well.
pull diff out, may have to rotate it to get it out.
i used a pry bar to remove the "S" spring out from the diff.
rotate the top and bottom spider gears out then you can get to the clutches.
do not loose the order your clutches were in cause that is the order your new ones are going in.
install new clutches.
do everything backwards to put the diff back together

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
^stal's got you covered. only other thing i'd like to include is before you start the install go buy 2 small bottles of friction modifier. poor one into a small containter and put your new clutch packs in it to soak while you pull your diff out. Then remove the diff and put the new clutch packs in. then when you reassemble put 2 qts of rear diff fluid in and the other small bottle of friction modifier and you'll be good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts