Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my friends Cobalt SS last night and I couldnt believe how light the clucth pedal felt, I just had to tap it and it was down, and with the short shifter it was amazing.

With my mustang, the clutch pedal has to be pressed down hard. Can I make my pedal light like that one? With the short shifter AM has one. Is it a lot in labor from them to install the short shifter? thanks guys!

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
yes, just buy a lighter clutch. As for the shifter, you should really install that yourself. There is no reason to pay someone to do that.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^Agreed, honestly installing a shifter is easier than an oil change, you don't have to be under the car. And hell I did the clutch myself too, but that's a helping hand and a lot more time and tools/knowledge. And I doubt your car will ever feel quite like that lil 4banger but you can make it a helluva lot lighter and the short shifter in these cars should have been stock.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I've driven Mustangs with the short shifter and they are amazing in my opinion. Certainly worth the money.

If I had a T5 I'd have a short shifter for sure.

As for the clutch I think that I'd want one that was harder to press down, I find them a lot easier to control that way.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
When i first got my v6 it was really hard to press down the clutch pedal (I really liked it that way), but I changed out the clutch and now its fairly soft...No where near as soft as the one in my dad's honda, but its just not the same as before :(

Oh and...Short throws FTMFGDW! The cobra has one and it feels SOOOO much better than the regular shifter in the sixxer

·
Registered
150 Posts
My friend had me drive his little nissan truck when I was helping him move and I told him his clutch had to be screwed up cause it took no effort at all but come to find out the thing was just so light, it was just the way it was.

On the other had hand I had a buddy with a fox body that had some super duty clutch in it and one day he let me drive it work since we rode together. That thing was so hard to engage it was crazy.

·
So Smart I'm Rotardary!
4,669 Posts
I put a lighten clutch and flywheel in my RX-8 and shifting it is amazingly light and easy. Plus freeing up the revs was a breeze. I also have a short throw shifter in it and it makes shifting more preicise and quicker. As soon as I'm done fixing all I have to on my 99 V6 i will be putting in a short throw.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i personally can't stand having a really light clutch. i get into a car with a clutch like that in it and i can't drive it.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^ Yeah I hate driving my boy's gf's Corolla Type S. I come close to stalling the clutch is so feather light, I like to feel the thing.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
i think the cobalt has a hydraulic clutch. that would make it way easier to push in than our cable driven clutches. I like have a stiff clutch.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Don't the 99+ Use hydraulic clutches?
No, '05 and up are hydraulic, '79-04 are cable.

If you want a lighter clutch pedal, there's two things that you can do:
*Easier clutch (i.e. Macleod Stage 1, 10% less pedal effort, 50% more torque capacity, double win!)
*Different clutch quadrant (changes the ramping on the clutch cable).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts