Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my clutch pedal seems to be rattling like crazy when I romp on it especially. At idle I can feel it vibrating and during braking it clangs as well. I am almost certain it is my throw out bearing.

I bought this kit maybe back in May http://www.americanmuscle.com/spec-s...lus-01-04.html it came with a new throw out bearing. I found this thread http://mustangforums.com/forum/6-cyl...ch-rattle.html I am wondering if Ryan's suggestion will do the trick. I have not had a chance to look at the throw out bearing yet but if it looks intact should re-lubricating it do the trick?

Also when I take a slow hard turn on bumpy roads (dirt or uneven roads) my drive train goes crazy feels like i left of the clutch/gas too quick but i am in gear. Would this have anything to do with the bearing? I doubt its my u-joints because I have a new drive shaft about a year old.

·
Registered
374 Posts
yep thats your throw out bearing. ah u joints are clacky in about any rwd straight drive, idk what your hearing tho, theres alot of good clutches for these cars ill recommend either centerforce or spec i like both!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Put a throw out bearing from ford in it. For some reason some of the after market ones start making noises and acting up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
^ I have a new clutch, its a spec stage 2. I got in May-June it came with a new TOB. My question I guess is how in the world would a new TOB go bad?? do you think it needs lube?
yeah alot of the after market ones are noisy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
i got the same exact problem with mine, i got a new clutch with less than 1000 miles on it would it be ok to put a diff flywheel on there without any problems>? or would the clutch not work well with it?

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I have a spec stage 2 as well and have a rattle which seems to be from the TOB. My TOB is a ford piece though cuz the one Spec sent with the clutch was damaged. I havent actually looked at mine. Ill have to tryin putting some more grease on it.

·
8,720 Posts
And the feeling your talking bout while turning slow sounds like your in too high of a gear for the slow speed your goin at.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Either A) you adjustment of the TOB against the pressure plate was too tight or B) You got the typical SPEC Clutch bullshit.

The vibration in the pedal is due to the TOB. I'd check to see also if the top bolt under the dash is tightened all the way.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
i had a new clutch/TOB put in mine and 6 months later my TOB was rattling again. Had to change it out again about 6 months ago and no problems!

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow thanks for all the replies guys. Well I will try greasing it up. I just didn't want to keep driving it and my TOB fall apart. If the noise doesn't go away I guess I will have to remedy it with some kinda of padding so I don't hear the damn thing clanging. Thanks again!

·
Registered
659 Posts
i was told that putting grease on the tob and shaft was a bad idea because it collects dirt and eat away and the input shaft and also the bearing?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
i was told that putting grease on the tob and shaft was a bad idea because it collects dirt and eat away and the input shaft and also the bearing?
No. I could only see that happening if you put literal globs of grease on there. Even then, you still have the inspection cover keeping most of it out of there. The only real debis you get in there is clutch dust.

You're supposed to put a think film of grease on the entire face of the TOB.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the only fear with the grease is not to put to much other wise it could spread over to the clutch disk. You need some kind of lubrication to help prevent premature failure of the bearing due to friction and heat. I just would never have thought my clutch pedal shaking would be due to a dry throw out bearing.

·
Registered
659 Posts
so you fixed it? were did you apply the grease?

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no not yet I will be doing it tomorrow. Basically you have some one press down on the clutch pedal and it pushes the shifter fork towards the clutch. It reveals the shaft its riding on and you put some grease on it and have the person keep pressing the clutch pedal to distribute the grease along the shaft.

·
8,720 Posts
I just would never have thought my clutch pedal shaking would be due to a dry throw out bearing.
This sounds like your cable it too tight. The TOB/shift fork should have just enoguh pressure to touch the pressure plate. Even if there is a rattle/vibration from the TOB it shouldnt transmit through the clutch cable. I dunno what clutch cable setup you have but my shop told me with the firewall adjuster you should be able to pull the part of the cable that touches the adjuster off about a 1/4 inch

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ I have a firewall adjuster and adjustable cable and an aftermarket clutch quadrant. It was doing this ever since i put in my new clutch. The pedal sill shakes no matter what setting i put it into so idk ill have to see tomorrow when i take a look at it.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I've had similar issues with my SPEC stage 1. I believe their TOB's for whatever reason aren't as good quality as the Ford Heavy Duty's. You are DEFINITELY supposed to grease the TOB and trans input shaft, you won't be driving for long without doing so. It'll be hard to properly grease the whole TOB without removing it however, you won't be able to get it on the entire surface that contacts the fingers. Worth a shot though.

I've had the clutch, with Steeda adjustable cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant in for a few months now. The only time the TOB makes the squealing noise is on first cold start up of the day, and the whole first drive, never besides that. I actually just installed a Steeda Clutch PEDAL height adjuster kit, and it seemed to solve my problems, because I was then able to adjust at the firewall adjuster more, and I like the pedal a little lower. If the noise persists after you try and grease it up some more, I would try that. It was only $25, and for now it solved the issue. I'll update in a few days after I get some good miles out of the new adjustments.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts