Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 V6 5spd with 111000 and change on it, lately hasn't wanted to go in reverse as easy as it should, I have to force it in to gear sometimes with the clutch all the way on the floor, and until recently it was just reverse. Sunday night I was taking my girlfriend home and I couldn't find 3rd at all, I had to shift from 2nd to 4th, so I'm thinking its just the clutch but could it be something else? If it is the clutch, how hard is it to replace? I've done a lot of engine rebuilds, and have a lot of experience working with cars, but I've never done transmission work before, is this something I should take to a pro or can I put it on blocks and do it myself?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I think the reverse issue is a common problem. I know I sometimes can't get my car into reverse with the clutch pedal at the floor. I have to slowly the let clutch out and pull back on the shifter until it pops into gear.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Not being able to get into reverse easily is just because it's not synchronized. That's by design and is normal.

Not being able to get into a specific forward gear wouldn't be a clutch problem but rather a problem within the transmission itself. Could be a worn out synchro or something of that sort.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
I can't find third sometimes because of the stock shifter is crap and I hit the wall and it pops into neutral. But yeah it might be a synchro..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys as soon as its pretty enough outside to look at it I will and let you know what I find but its suppose to be raining until this weekend

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
You're getting close or already are at the point that the stock clutch and components are on the way out. Not saying you should run out right now and change it out, but if one thing needs replacing, chances are others do as well. Makes most sense to change it all out at once rather than being back in there in a few months for one other part.

If you've rebuilt motors you shouldn't have trouble replacing the clutch.

·
Registered
296 Posts
In my case, I had a similar problem with reverse and first gear only when the entire car was hot from driving in summer weather. When I showed up at the Mustang shop to have a clutch and flywheel installed (that I got dirt cheap) I described it to the tech and he said it could be the trans/syncro also. Come to find out it was the throw out bearing scorched. pilot bearing was charred also. Took apart the transmission just to inspect the gears and rings/spacers and all was good.
I don't know if anyone here is familiar with a carbon based oil additive called MILITEC1 or not but when I added it to the gearbox-transmission it smoothed everything out significantly. I use MILITEC1 in my crank case, power steering, differentials, and transmission. It's an incredible product sold to the public now not just the military anymore. I discovered it at work. I work as a mechanical engineer and I have added it to air compressors, semi hermetic motors and all pumps. The effectiveness is calculated by the drop in amperage recorded. Some of the reciprocating 50 ton units have had it serviced with it and are still running since 1991. Good stuff, great for cleaning/lubing rifles too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts