Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having this high pitched whining noise when i push my clutch in and let it out, in cold weather when i push it in it kinda sounds like a "Wahhhhhhhhh" and when i let it back off to start moving it sounds like a "Wheeeeeeem" it only makes this noise when its cold out and when i push and let go of the clutch but when im in gear moving or on nice warm days it doesnt do it at all. Or sometimes on a warm day after driving for 3+ hours it will start to do it but nowhere near as loud as the cold days, been like this for about a year now and im worried that if i keep putting it off longer some seriouse damage will happen and with summer coming up i wont hear much whining noises but im sure something is going bad and i need to act fast. My next step that i wanted to do was steeda underdrive pulleys since its fairly easy and there are guides for a UDP job but my pulleys are fine and i should probably fix the things that are more in need of a fix rather than upgrade something thats working fine. After reading a bunch of topics im guessing its the throwout bearing making this noise? The clutch and tranny work fine and seem just as normal as when i first got the car and it wasnt making noises in cold weather. Everything seems normal accept the whining noise which seems to get louder and louder on the cold days where its noticable and now its even making it on the warm days after driving for awhile. :confused:

And if it is the T.O.B does anyone have a good guide on a D.I.Y clutch job for the novice mechanic? So far iv done all the mods to my car thanks to these forums and the guides online but a fuel pump and brake job with SS braided lines seem to be more on the easy side of things compared to a clutch job. Id love to keep doing all the work to my baby since that way its cheaper and i know the job is getting done right compared to paying a shop and letting them wrench on my car without a care in the world for the car i love. Sorry for the long post, if anyone can pinpoint my problem and show me a guide or help me out i would appreciate it so much with some +rep and +paypal :cool: id much rather spend the time and money for good aftermarket parts and elbow grease than to pay a shop the same ammount if not more money to use stock parts and a lousy job. One of my buddys was taking his car to a shop every other week for a new problem that magically happened with normal driving and i dont wanna get bent over and have my wallet raped by a shop like he did. :mad:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Most of the TOB i've had/seen go make like a rattling sound, almost sounds like a heat shields loose or something. Usually because the fingers of the clutch have overheated and warped, applying pressure to the TOB. This happens usually when the fingers get too warm from either riding the clutch too much or long term aggressive driving... but yeah its pretty easy to swap out the TOB, and also a good time to re-grease the pilot bearing. I dont have a guide but it goes something like this

- disconnect battery
-jack up car, put jack stands under car
- unbolt exhaust from headers/manifolds
- disconnect starter
- remove drive shaft
- put support under tranny
- unbolt tranny from bellhousing
- carefully lower tranny
- replace TOB

repeat steps in reverse to put back on (3hours or so total)... There's WAYYYY better to do guides like on e-how and other sources, but this is a ballpark of what your in for if you decide to change the TOB.

·
Registered
218 Posts
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=32606595&aid=2101930#!/photo.php?fbid=574319307667&set=a.574319167947.2101930.32606595&theater

this is the zoom clutch I put in a few months ago...also put in a RAM flywheel.. thats also a good idea at this point as well. but u can see TOB sitting nice and square.. ITS REALLLY IMPORTANT that when your all done everything is centered PERFECTLY...otherwise your going to burn out the clutch in no time because the fingers wont be centered and just rub on the TOB til they're fried

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So its probably not the TOB then since its more of a whine instead of a rattle and it only does it on cold days? If its not the TOB what do you think it could be? Maybe just the clutch cable is really dirty or something? Im so confused right now, and im worried that if i do start replacing something with the clutch that im gonna end up replacing everything and spending all my savings lol.

Edit : that link pops up to a page that says the link is broken >.<

·
Registered
218 Posts
link fixed.. but heres my advice and its relatively easy to figuare out what your dealing with...

If you hear a noise when you release the clutch, it's a bad throw out bearing. They can make a sort of medium pitch whine and also rattle.. the important thing is WHEN the sound starts and goes away.

If you hear the noise when the clutch is pushed, it's bad input shaft bearings. the reason the noise dissapears is that by putting the clutch down you are removing the load from the gearbox

So the problem is most likely one of those two things... the problem with it being the TOB is the fingers on your clutch could be warped... and the problem with it being a bearing is you'd have to strip the gearbox.. either way its going to take some work, but its nothing catastrophic

Reactions: LoveStangs88

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
:shiftyeyes

T.O.B. is Throw Out Bearing

lol jk
Not sure that the whine is from the TOB, but hey, it might have broken in some wierd way. When mine started to go it rattled whenever i let the clutch out when not in gear and idling

Reactions: LoveStangs88

·
Registered
218 Posts
@thumbie

yeah thats the same thing for me too... def. a rattling sound... but people have told me they've heard a whine before.. Im leaning more towards bearings/gearbox..especially with it happening on cold days.. bad bearings + cold = a bad time

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow this forum is amazing. my car makes the same whine when i depress the clutch. im assuming this is the same as yours. Its not when u let it out. I almost 100% guarantee it! Now that said, i have no idea what the hell is wrong lol!!!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
whatever it is, hopefully its nothin too expensive man haha. except not haha because this aint funny.

when my car squeaks on cold mornings its the belt lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shucks... well im guessing the whole clutch system is pretty much going slowly day by day each hour and each street race i find myself getting into lol. I was checking it out today and the peddle does have a small rattleing feel to it but nothing extreme or too noticable and it was a warm day so no whining but i did hear a kind of squeel at a certain point of pressing it in and out. It was hard to depict where the squel was coming from but most definitly somewhere by the tranny/clutch area. Guess the whole system is slowly going bad and il more than likely try tackeling a new clutch, flywheel, TOB, Bearingsand the whole nine pretty much. Guess il start burning the savings and ordering parts and reading up on how to do this job before i trash my gearbox and other components.

Thanks for the help guys i guess at this point everything is in the early stages of going bad since i got a whine on cold days and a small rattle in the peddle feel and a small squeak when pressing and letting off on the warm days. Guess now at this point is if anyone knows any guides online i can follow that might be more detailed than these 2 that i found. Heres the links.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/66908-replacing-your-clutch-look-no-further.html

How To Replace a Clutch | AutoHow.TV

One is on a 2001 GT and the other a 03 cobra, im guessing the work is the same for a 96 GT but if anyone knows a more detailed guide or one specifically on a 96 GT that would be awesome. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did mine this past weekend and the write up changing your clutch look no farther is exactly how our cars are. Mines a 98 and the tranny bolts were a pain to take out but with a lot of elbow grease they will come out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did mine this past weekend and the write up changing your clutch look no farther is exactly how our cars are. Mines a 98 and the tranny bolts were a pain to take out but with a lot of elbow grease they will come out.
Did you use a breaker bar? on A.M it says to torque the tranny bolts only to 38 ft.lbs but then again the loctite is what can be a bitch... i remember trying to get my lower caliper bolts off which ford used red loctite on man what a pain lol i only use blue loctite

1 - 13 of 13 Posts